Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro has bent and cracked screen

I bought this IPad Pro about 8 months ago, and recently left it on charge for 24 hours and I admit the room was pretty warm at the time not higher than 35c and also the room I was in has been pretty cold too, I then noticed that a bad kink had appeared on one side and then rang to get an appointment to go and see the Genius Bar at a Apple Store to get it look at which wasn't for a week, then about a day passed and the screen has cracked because of the strain of the bend. I have not caused any physical damage to the device and all I can think is the battery has overheated and expanded which has caused the bend to happened. I went to the Apple Store in Brighton and they said they have never heard about this before and will not replace the IPad even though there are many forums saying this does happen although the cause can not be identified and just say it's my fault and are quite rude about it. How can I fix this?

User uploaded file

Posted on Jan 24, 2017 8:14 AM

6 replies

Jan 24, 2017 8:30 AM in response to AmazinJustin

Ultimately you need to deal with Apple about this if not satisfied. Nobody here in these volunteer user forums can help with this. If the battery had swollen, the store would be able to determine that. But in the absence of any discernible defect or malfunction, the fault for damage tends to fall on the owner.

From your photo, quite honestly it looks to me like it got bent while pressed up against something? Accidental or otherwise, that would qualify as non-warranty accidental damage. It's hard to imagine a swollen battery bending it in the middle like that - swollen batteries usually manifest themselves by pushing the screen and bezel apart from the frame, and bulging out the back of the device.

Jan 24, 2017 11:29 AM in response to AmazinJustin

Apple would offer you an out of warranty replacement. They would not even try to repair that. If you tried it yourself, the issue I think you'll find is the machined aluminum case of the iPad is, obviously, pretty thin in areas and this won't survive well being bent, then bent back again. Thin aluminum metal fatigues pretty quickly with that sort of manipulation. Also, getting it open and apart is not trivial.

There are also no OEM parts available at retail (only through repair by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service provider). So your replacement display and any other parts are going to have to be used/salvaged or otherwise suspect parts.

Also if you try to fix it, or have some shop try to, you'll then be ineligible for any Apple support if it cannot be repaired and you want to go the out of warranty replacement route with Apple.

In the end, an out of warranty replacement from Apple is likely best. You'll get a like new device (with OEM new battery and display) and it will have a minimum 90 day warranty (or reinstates the remainder of your original warranty, if that period is longer than 90 days).

iPad Pro has bent and cracked screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.