Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

grayscale printing sierra

I recently upgraded to macOS Sierra and noticed that the Gray Scale option is now missing from the print dialogue box. It used to be under "Preview".

In the past, printing in Black & White would use all the colors of an inkjet printer. Even a normally B&W document would use all the cartridges. The workaround was to pick the Grayscale option in the printer dialogue and creat a preset. This would insure that only the black cartridge was used to print a B&W document.

With macOS Sierra, the Grayscale option is gone. I am hoping that the issue with B&W was fixed under Sierra and that now choosing that option actually uses on the black ink.

Has anyone noticed a difference in black ink levels since upgrading? If I printed a 50 page B&W word document, would only the black cartridge show a lower ink level, or would all cartridges be reduced roughly equally?

I am hoping that this issue and the grayscale workaround were fixed in Sierra and that it only uses black ink when printing in B&W. Time will tell.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), macOS Sierra (10.12.3), Epson and Canon printers

Posted on Jan 24, 2017 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2017 4:44 PM

Your image shows that you are using the Apple AirPrint driver. If you want the Grayscale menu, then open Printers & Scanners, remove this printer and add again, this time ensuring that you select the Canon model in the Use menu, instead of the AirPrint driver that it will default to. With this printer created using the Canon driver you will get that menu as shown.

User uploaded file

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2017 4:44 PM in response to mavots

Your image shows that you are using the Apple AirPrint driver. If you want the Grayscale menu, then open Printers & Scanners, remove this printer and add again, this time ensuring that you select the Canon model in the Use menu, instead of the AirPrint driver that it will default to. With this printer created using the Canon driver you will get that menu as shown.

User uploaded file

Jan 24, 2017 2:52 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks OT.

I use a Canon MG2880 and yes, I have the Black & White option just as you show.

My question is, does this print out using ONLY the black ink or does it still use all, including color, ink to create a black print? In the past it has been the latter and the workaround was to use the (now missing) Grayscale option.

Have you checked you inkjet levels to see if the B&W setting only uses B&W since upgrading to Sierra?

Maris

grayscale printing sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.