Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro late 2011 and SSD problem

Hi all

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011)

Processor : 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory : 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Hard drive : 750GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm

I decided to upgrade to SSD so i purchase Samsung evo 750 (250gb) and what i do

- put the SSD on a USB-SATA enclosure, carbon copy my existing HDD (including a recovery disk partition), formatted MAC OS Extended (Journaled) with a single GUID partition.

- restart the computer and boot from the SSD still on the USB enclosure (holding "option" key during startup. This works well and Mac OS starts and runs no problem.

- Shut down, replace the hard drives. And test.

THE PROBLEM:

is not working at all so i try to format the ssd i put USB with (Macos sierra ) and holding ( ALT ) + power button and Disk Utility i can see the SSD so i Click Erase and show Erase failed i try 10 times and its not working

Some of the Solutions i try after i make Search for more than 7 days !

1- Change sata cable ( 4 ) times !!!

2 - Reset NVRAM

3- Reset SMC

4- Terminal enable

5-Terminal Date

NO success.

Any suggestions

MacBook Pro, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Jan 24, 2017 9:23 PM

25 replies

Jan 26, 2017 11:33 AM in response to EngQ8

That is most unusual that 4 new cables would not solve the problem. This not going to solve the problem but you can run the Apple Hardware Test twice, with the HDD and the SSD installed internally.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

It should not develop an error with the HDD but should error with the SSD. That will confirm that you are dealing with a hardware problem which can be best addressed at an Apple Store genius bar (the evaluation will be FREE).

Ciao.

Jan 26, 2017 6:05 AM in response to EngQ8

Are you saying that one of the images you posted was when you were in the recovery partition? Was that in Internet recovery?

What puzzles m is that in your original post, the SSD worked properly when connected via USB and not when installed in the MBP. If that is the case, why are you trying to erase the SSD? What you have posted suggests that the SSD may have failed. I would retest the SSD externally.

Ciao.

Jan 26, 2017 11:07 AM in response to EngQ8

EngQ8 wrote:

HDD = work internally and

externally via USB

SSD = work externally via USB only

That all suggests an internal connection problem, usually the SATA cable is not up to standards that will support a SSD. You said in your original post that you changed the cable 4 times with no success. Were these 4 separate cables and were any one of the new?

Ciao.

Sep 4, 2017 10:06 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

I had the same problem with a Samsung 850 Pro. I was told the Samsung 850 pro would not work in my MBP 13 inch late 2011. I finally Gave in a had to get in touch with crucial.com and I bought one of their SSD. Their feed back does say it works well with a late 2011. Funny, my mid 15 inch 2010 MBP works perfect with the same SSD ( Samsung 850 Pro ) that won't work in my late 2011 13 inch MBP. I am waiting for delivery of the crucial ssd. I do think it will work. Another strange things is that I hear the Samsung 850 Pro will work with a Mid 2011 MBP.

Macbook pro late 2011 and SSD problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.