Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App updates on low power mode over cellular data

Since few days, my phone started to update apps without wifi over cellular data.

It happens as follows,

1. Wifi is on but not connected, cellular data is on (3G or LTE)
  2. I switch the low power mode on, when the battery level is 85-95%
  3. All apps which has an update waiting, starts to download the newest versions.
  4. As long as the cellular data is on or not flight mode is enabled, it doesn't let me cancel the updates. When I enable the flight mode, wait untill all updates stop then disable it again, none of the apps try to update automatically any more.

This process repeats itself every day.

I didn't update my ios version or changed any settings for a while. I double checked the settings under the menu Settings - General - iTunes and App Store use cellular data is already off while auto update is on. I guess, it should update as long as there is a wifi connection. I also turned of the cellular data usage of App Store. By the way, it shouldn't update anything on low power mode as it description states.

How can I fix the problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

iPhone 6

iOs 10.0.2

Regards

iPhone 6, iOS 10.0.2

Posted on Jan 25, 2017 2:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2017 2:26 AM

Did you check if your Wi-Fi Assist is enabled in Settings/Cellular? If it is, cellular data will be used if your Wi-Fi signal is not strong enough.

Maybe updating your iOS is the only way to rule out a software issue.

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

9 replies

Oct 20, 2017 1:00 AM in response to gocoolgo

Also having this issue, but not just with low power mode. Despite "use cellular data" being turned off in the iTunes & App Store settings, and App Store turned off under Cellular settings, also Wi-Fi Assist disabled, my iPhone is updating apps over cellular nearly every day. It basically does it the first time I unlock the phone each day, regardless of whether I am on Wi-Fi or not. This is new, too. It used to download updates while idle overnight. Why now would it do it when I'm about to use it? (And inevitably it updates the app I was about to use.)

I have toggled all of the above mentioned settings on/off, rebooted the iPhone countless times, finally reset all settings, and nothing has stopped this from happening. It is eating up a good chunk of my data plan. I don't really want to turn off automatic app updates, as I will undoubtedly constantly forget to do them manually. But even if I did, it's ignoring my other settings, so who's to say it won't ignore that one too?

Aug 16, 2017 1:21 AM in response to gocoolgo

I have the same problem, but in my case it shows both under WiFi and under cell data (though I have disabled both automatic downloads with cell data and WiFi Assist).

I can reproduce the problem very easily: provided there are apps that have an update, as soon as I turn on low power mode, apps start updating automatically.

It must be a bug because in the App Store settings iOS explicitly says "Automatic Downloads are not available while in Low Power Mode" and all settings are disabled.

This is detrimental for both battery consumption and data usage.

Oct 20, 2017 1:09 AM in response to paolo.r

I currently have exactly same issue with paolo.r . When I unplug my iphone from charger in the morning, I switch low power mode on. As soon as it switched on, my phone starts to update all apps. Unfortunatelly, i couldn’t solve it. Just to save my mobile data, i make sure that it finishes updating before i leave the house / wifi zone.

iphone 6

iOs 11.0.2

App updates on low power mode over cellular data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.