Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On a cruise can you use FaceTime to call while on the ship via wi-fi without incurring cost from your provider?

i'm going on a Caribbean cruise and want to know if I'm connected to the ship's wi-fi, can I Facetime Apple to Apple without incurring cost from my cellphone provider?

iPad Mini, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Jan 25, 2017 6:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2017 6:14 AM

If the ship provides free wifi and internet, then iMessage and FaceTime would be free. Those services are always free from Apple, and you only pay something if you are charged for the internet connection you are using.

BTW, no cruise ship I have been on has ever provided free internet, since their internet is usually provided via a satellite feed, which is expensive (they may provide free wifi access to the ships intranet, but internet access is for-fee). Also, satellite internet is always somewhat problematic with timeouts and dropped packets, so FaceTime and any VOIP service as well is likely to be poor (and the ship may exclude such usage as well, if their satellite feed simply cannot handle the traffic).

Many ships now also offer some form of onboard cellular service, but once more than a few miles offshore, that too goes through a satellite relay so is usually an expensive for-fee package service.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2017 6:14 AM in response to CBM50

If the ship provides free wifi and internet, then iMessage and FaceTime would be free. Those services are always free from Apple, and you only pay something if you are charged for the internet connection you are using.

BTW, no cruise ship I have been on has ever provided free internet, since their internet is usually provided via a satellite feed, which is expensive (they may provide free wifi access to the ships intranet, but internet access is for-fee). Also, satellite internet is always somewhat problematic with timeouts and dropped packets, so FaceTime and any VOIP service as well is likely to be poor (and the ship may exclude such usage as well, if their satellite feed simply cannot handle the traffic).

Many ships now also offer some form of onboard cellular service, but once more than a few miles offshore, that too goes through a satellite relay so is usually an expensive for-fee package service.

On a cruise can you use FaceTime to call while on the ship via wi-fi without incurring cost from your provider?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.