Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connectivity issues with Airpods and Apple Watch Series 2

Hi everyone,

So I've been using my Airpods with my Apple Watch Series 2 to listen to music from the watch whilst at the gym for the past few weeks, and there seem to be some pretty bad connectivity issues.

Firstly, when you try and pair the Airpods with the watch, it ALWAYS fails the first time. Then, when you try the second time it says it fails again, but the music starts playing through the Airpods.

Then whilst listening to music, the watch seems to loose the connection randomly, and you have to re-connect the Airpods.

Anyone else experienced this or know if it's a known issue?

Thanks.

James

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 25, 2017 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2017 2:56 PM

Hi benterz222,

I understand that you are having some issues pairing and using your AirPods with your Apple Watch. I know it's nice to be able to listen to music directly from your Apple Watch, so I'm happy to help.

For help pairing your AirPods with your Apple Watch, check out the information here:

Use Bluetooth accessories with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Connect to your AirPods

When you set up AirPods with your iPhone, they're simultaneously connected to both your Apple Watch and iPhone, and they play sound automatically from either device. Learn how to set up AirPods and how to play music on your Apple Watch.

Do you run into these same issues when setting up your AirPods with your iPhone first as the article mentions?

In addition to that, check out this article for common causes of Bluetooth interference to ensure that you don't have anything nearby that could be causing your connection issues:

Potential sources of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth interference - Apple Support

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2017 2:56 PM in response to benterz222

Hi benterz222,

I understand that you are having some issues pairing and using your AirPods with your Apple Watch. I know it's nice to be able to listen to music directly from your Apple Watch, so I'm happy to help.

For help pairing your AirPods with your Apple Watch, check out the information here:

Use Bluetooth accessories with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Connect to your AirPods

When you set up AirPods with your iPhone, they're simultaneously connected to both your Apple Watch and iPhone, and they play sound automatically from either device. Learn how to set up AirPods and how to play music on your Apple Watch.

Do you run into these same issues when setting up your AirPods with your iPhone first as the article mentions?

In addition to that, check out this article for common causes of Bluetooth interference to ensure that you don't have anything nearby that could be causing your connection issues:

Potential sources of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth interference - Apple Support

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Feb 1, 2017 2:13 AM in response to benterz222

I've just had a call with Apple about the issue, and I'm absolutely astounded to report that they told me the Airpods aren't actually compatible directly with the watch!!

They said that the Airpods require an iPhone to be in range in order to function properly on the watch - which is complete madness in my opinion and very disappointing. If you have to have your phone constantly on you, you may as well just listen to music from the phone directly! But that's not always the case, as at the gym for example, I leave my phone in the locker and listen to music direct from the watch...

They said that the watch doesn't have the correct profile installed on it to allow the Airpods to pair directly with it - they need to be paired with the phone in order for them to work properly.

Very disappointed by this.

Connectivity issues with Airpods and Apple Watch Series 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.