Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activation lock suddenly popped up on my iPad while I was using it. I've put in the correct password & id, but it says incorrect

Activation lock

Posted on Jan 25, 2017 10:21 PM

20 replies

Jan 25, 2017 10:30 PM in response to Terrymcb

Activation lock is an anti theft feature. You need to get the previous owner to enter their Apple ID to remove the activation lock. See details below.

Activation Lock Problem

It requires the Apple ID and password of the previous owner. If you don't have it and cannot get it, then the device is useless to you. Return it for a refund, if you can, or take it to an Apple store for an exchange provided they will help you.

Find My iPhone Activation Lock: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201365

If you can't activate your iPhone - Apple Support: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201407

In the future check first before buying second hand: How to check for Activation Lock before buying a used iPhone: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/08/12/how-to-check-activation-lock-before-buyi ng-used-iphone/

Jan 25, 2017 10:36 PM in response to Terrymcb

Try resetting the device: Hold down the Home and Power buttons at the same time and continue to hold them both down until the Apple appears (up to 30 seconds). If you see the Apple, the device is resetting, and the Lock screen should display shortly.

Just to make sure, you are the original owner of the device, correct? When it shows the encrypted Apple ID, do you recognize it as yours? Is it the same one you are putting in the password for, or is it possible that you are signed into iCloud with a different ID/password?

You can also change your password, and then try using your updated password to regain access to your device.

If you are able to regain access, be sure to go to: Apple - My Apple ID and change your password immediately.

Best of luck,

GB

Jan 27, 2017 6:03 PM in response to Terrymcb

I thought you stated that it showed your iPad as Online when you looked?

If it is not showing on your list of devices, then it sounds like it is, in fact, tied to another Apple/iCloud ID for the Find My iPhone Activation Lock.

Are you certain that you have never signed into iCloud on that iPad using a different Apple/iCloud ID? When you purchased the iPad, where did you purchase it from?

Cheers,

GB

Jan 28, 2017 12:40 PM in response to Terrymcb

So, you need to find out from your son if he signed his Apple ID into iCloud on your iPad. Try signing in his Apple ID and password to see if that will unlock the device.

If you cannot get it unlocked, then if you take the device, along with the original purchase receipt into the closest Apple Store, along with a photo ID, they should be able to unlock it for you.

Cheers,

GB

May 7, 2017 7:12 AM in response to Terrymcb

There is no answer to the question, "Why is this activation request happening?" I bought my iPad possibly among the first to own one. No one else has ever owned it. It stays in my house. Possibly, no one else has ever USED it. Who or what is causing this request? There is no previous owner, just me. I have no idea what my original password is because Apple keeps requiring me to change it. Actually, I do know what it was but it is not accepted. Help.

Activation lock suddenly popped up on my iPad while I was using it. I've put in the correct password & id, but it says incorrect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.