Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

slow internet on macbook air

I have a Macbok air, 13 inch early 2015 running 10.11.6. fully updated. On this machine browsing can be very slow. However other Macs on my network, including one on the same desk and accessing the same access point work at good speeds. I have run my ISP speed checker on two macs simultaneously and the slow machine reports similar values to the other machine - so I do not think it is my wireless network.

I have tested the slow mac on an ethernet connection but find the same slow page load speeds

I have checked the DNS settings and deleted a long list to restore the usual default values that work well on my other Macs without any improvement. All the other settings match those of my other Macs.

I have loaded Firefox as an alternative browser but find the same problem - my download speed was good, it seems to be a problem loading page data.

Any thoughts greatfully received.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 26, 2017 2:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2017 2:11 AM

Try doing this,

1. Quit all apps or programs that are using internet.

2. Turn off the macs wifi connection

3. in the finder window enter this: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

4.Find the following 4 files

(1. com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

(2. com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist

(3. NetworkInterfaces.plist

(4. preferences.plist

5. (Optional) Copy these files onto a thumb drive or another folder on your Mac as a back up in case something goes wrong, then paste them back into the system config

6. After backing up the files delete the files located in the mentioned area above in step 4.

7. Restart your mac

8. Also try restarting your Wifi router just for good measure before restarting your mac.

9. Once restarted this should rewrite the files on your system config, and fix your wifi problem.

If this doesn't work please respond with anything else happening to it so i can try and further help you.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2017 2:11 AM in response to RMak

Try doing this,

1. Quit all apps or programs that are using internet.

2. Turn off the macs wifi connection

3. in the finder window enter this: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

4.Find the following 4 files

(1. com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

(2. com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist

(3. NetworkInterfaces.plist

(4. preferences.plist

5. (Optional) Copy these files onto a thumb drive or another folder on your Mac as a back up in case something goes wrong, then paste them back into the system config

6. After backing up the files delete the files located in the mentioned area above in step 4.

7. Restart your mac

8. Also try restarting your Wifi router just for good measure before restarting your mac.

9. Once restarted this should rewrite the files on your system config, and fix your wifi problem.

If this doesn't work please respond with anything else happening to it so i can try and further help you.

Jan 27, 2017 5:18 AM in response to RMak

You are very welcome man I am so happy I solved your problem. I might even be a little to happy due to the fact that this is a school project for my tech class and this got me a lot of extra points. I am so glad that I helped fix your problem and in the future I hope that any other problems you might have (Hopefully not) I can help you out with. You have a great rest of your day, or evening when ever your read this and God Bless

Gyoyo

May 15, 2017 10:00 PM in response to Gyoyo

I think I'm having the same problem but I'm not perfectly clear on your instructions...

I find the 4 files, copy and paste them to a thumb drive or some other folder. But after that step I'm not clear on what I do?... Just copy the files that I just copied/pasted to another location and paste them back in the original folder? Delete the files in the original location and then copy and paste the files I've already moved to another location back to their original place?

Jan 12, 2018 3:00 PM in response to Gyoyo

Hi there,

I'm having this problem with my MacBook Air too over here in the UK too. When I tried to follow your advice I found that the second file listed com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist wasn't there. The other files are accounts exitsts, boot, smb-server and wii message tracer, should I delete one of these instead do you know? I would be extremely grateful if you could let me know as my slow connection is driving me nuts, I can't even do any updates its so slow it gets kicked out all the time. Fingers crossed.

Kind regards,

Susie Jazz

Jan 14, 2018 1:55 PM in response to jamesfromepping

The line:

com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist

May not be a necessary file in your particular instance. An internet search indicates that some versions of the OS don’t use or need it. My MacBook Air running the latest software works with or without it. After the initial fix provided above, mine never restored that particular file, and works fine, with much faster wifi.

Hope this helps!

slow internet on macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.