Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emergency Bypass

Hello,

I think the Emergency Bypass is a great Feature, but why it disable the Silent Button?

If i go into a meeting i will use the Silent Button - But if a Contac Call with active Emergency Bypass my iPhone rings...in the Description stand it disable only the Do not Disturb Feature witch is active from 11pm to 7am

Is there a Bug?

Kind regards

Stefano

iPhone 7, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Jan 27, 2017 1:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2017 1:35 AM

Hi,

First off: Emergency Bypass goes through both Do Not Disturb mode and your phone’s silent switch, so you’ll only want to use this for potential big deal emergencies. You can also set it up for the phone ringtone or text messaging exclusively, which is handy if you have someone who only calls when its an emergency. Here’s how to set it up:

1. Launch Contacts.
  2. Tap the contact you want and then tap Edit.
  3. Tap Ringtone (or tap Text Tone if you want texts to go through).
  4. Set the Emergency Bypass toggle to On.

Now, calls or texts (or both) will get through from that contact no matter what.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2017 1:35 AM in response to EnfantTerrible2

Hi,

First off: Emergency Bypass goes through both Do Not Disturb mode and your phone’s silent switch, so you’ll only want to use this for potential big deal emergencies. You can also set it up for the phone ringtone or text messaging exclusively, which is handy if you have someone who only calls when its an emergency. Here’s how to set it up:

1. Launch Contacts.
  2. Tap the contact you want and then tap Edit.
  3. Tap Ringtone (or tap Text Tone if you want texts to go through).
  4. Set the Emergency Bypass toggle to On.

Now, calls or texts (or both) will get through from that contact no matter what.

Apr 17, 2017 12:20 PM in response to anonyme4321

Doesn't help if I want text notifications to come in as well. I have to agree that the silent switch should override all notification sounds...or instead of emergency bypass (which specifically says "Emergency Bypass allows sounds and vibrations from this person even when Do Not Disturb is on"), Do Not Disturb should have the option to allow texts from favorites as well...much more practical.

Sep 19, 2017 12:02 PM in response to jkbales

I think there is a logic gap here. It makes no sense to have an "Emergency Feature" that bypasses Do Not Disturb, but then ALSO bypasses the silent button. It makes the feature useless. 99.9999% of all calls and texts from the "bypassed" people will be non-emergency. They are important enough, I want them to get through Do Not Disturb--for both calls and texts (to be honest, that is the only place the original "Favorites" bypass fails--we live in a world now where texts prevail over calls, so make them equal here--and problem fixed).

But at a 2pm meeting, when I am awake, and Do Not Disturb is not on, but my phone is on silence so it vibrates only, I don't want their calls and/or texts blaring through at full volume.

MY preference would be for emergency bypass to bypass only Do Not Disturb, and not the silence switch. Or give me a choice?! But at minimum, it should be fixed to ONLY bypass when Do Not Disturb is on. And not always.

Jan 27, 2017 1:50 AM in response to anonyme4321

Thanks for your Answser,

But why i goes through the Silent Switch, it makes no Sense, when i set my iPhone in the Silent Mode.

It's a planned decision to set in the Silent Mode, when i go into a Meeting.

Do not Disturb it's a Automatic Rule based on Time

I set up Emergency Bypass for my Family in Case of an Emergency (at Night) with Do not Disturb Feature (Planed) is active that my iPhone rings, not in my Business Meetings (Daytimes)

Emergency Bypass

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.