Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple id sign in requested

Don't quite know where to post this. A friend gets this message (on all her devices and computers) when trying to log into iCloud or anytime asked for the Apple ID and password: Your Apple ID is being used to sign in to a device near North Franklin, PA. Choices are Allow or Don't Allow. Which ever choice is made it then says the password should be changed. Choosing not now (or that effect) seems to allow usage to continue. She consulted the Apple store and they said accept and changed her password, but the messages continue. We visited iCloud.com and her Apple ID account page and see nothing out of the ordinary. No unfamiliar devices. Why does this message arise and how to get rid of it?

Posted on Jan 27, 2017 1:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2017 2:02 PM

Apple generates the message to help protect your Apple ID when signing into iCloud and other places where your Apple ID is being used. As long as you are logging in, the message will show. You can stop it by not logging out of iCloud. The location is based on where your ISP reports your IP address is, which can be hundreds of miles off from your location.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2017 2:02 PM in response to thermo2

Apple generates the message to help protect your Apple ID when signing into iCloud and other places where your Apple ID is being used. As long as you are logging in, the message will show. You can stop it by not logging out of iCloud. The location is based on where your ISP reports your IP address is, which can be hundreds of miles off from your location.

Jan 27, 2017 5:35 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for your reply and suggestion. I have never myself experienced this message even though I am normally not logged into iCloud. North Franklin, PA is indeed hundreds of miles away and the internet "where is my ip" sites report very close to the correct location for the actual IP. The store also tried to tell this person it had something to do with an Apple Server near that location, which didn't make a lot of sense to me, but I was not there to hear exactly what was said. I am wondering if this is an error in Apple's database. The person has the two factor authentication as well so it seems unlikely a stranger could actually be using her Apple ID. Equally puzzling is why the message gives the option to Allow or not Allow, which then doesn't seem to make any difference to the ability to log into iCloud.

apple id sign in requested

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.