Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opening keynote file in older version

I created a presentation in the newest version of keynote at work (7.x?), at home I only have version 5.1.1. When I try to open the file I get "Unable to open “XYZFILE.key” because it isn't a valid Keynote document."

From the file type it clearly IS a keynote doc, is there any way around this? Can't import into google sheets...the doc is formatted so I would really not want to have to try make it again at home.

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Keynote '09 version 5.1.1

Posted on Jan 28, 2017 3:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2017 1:21 AM

I created a presentation in the newest version of keynote at work (7.x?), at home I only have version 5.1.1.

• First, update Keynote 5.1.1 to version 5.3 by downloading the update from this Apple webpage: Download iWork 9.3
  • The file will save to your downloads folder
  • Install the update
  • In Keynote version 7, export the presentation as an iWork 09 file: File > Export > Keynote 09

You will now be able to open this file in Keynote 5.3

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2017 1:21 AM in response to itsafourletterword

I created a presentation in the newest version of keynote at work (7.x?), at home I only have version 5.1.1.

• First, update Keynote 5.1.1 to version 5.3 by downloading the update from this Apple webpage: Download iWork 9.3
  • The file will save to your downloads folder
  • Install the update
  • In Keynote version 7, export the presentation as an iWork 09 file: File > Export > Keynote 09

You will now be able to open this file in Keynote 5.3

Opening keynote file in older version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.