Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buying used iPad can I look up storage by serial?

I'm wanting to buy a used iPad online and I want to make sure it is what they say. Can I look up the iPads serial number or some other number on it to identify the storage capacity of it?

iPad Air, iOS 10

Posted on Jan 28, 2017 10:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2017 11:50 AM

OK I don't know how this go so far off topic. But I don't have access to the iPad Since im look at it online. The box can be forged and so can a picture of the screen settings. So I ask again does anyone know how to verify the storage size of a iPad with only the serial number or other numbers found on the back of the iPad?

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2017 11:50 AM in response to Bank$ter Magill

OK I don't know how this go so far off topic. But I don't have access to the iPad Since im look at it online. The box can be forged and so can a picture of the screen settings. So I ask again does anyone know how to verify the storage size of a iPad with only the serial number or other numbers found on the back of the iPad?

Jan 28, 2017 10:23 PM in response to Dustin2323

Before you purchase ANY iDevice used, you need to ask the seller if they removed the Activation Lock and deregistered the device from their Apple ID and from iCloud activation Lock and turned off Find my iPad/iPhone, before you even think about buying a second hand Apple mobile device.

If the device still has Activation Lock to someone else's Apple ID, if there is no way to contact its original owner and/or the original owner doesn't remember their Apple ID, passwords or passcodes, you might end up purchasing a dead, electronic paperweight/brick or food serving tray.

THERE IS NO WAY TO CIRCUMVENT Activation Lock. NONE!

Good Luck!

Jan 28, 2017 11:22 PM in response to Dustin2323

How would I KNOW if YOU KNEW this fact or NOT!!!!

These iDevice forums are riddled with people, like you, who have purchased devices second hand from places that weren't reputable/trusted retail locations and ALL, ALL OF THEM got burned with devices they paid for and can't use and/or couldn't return.

So, how was I supposed to know that you were intelligent enough to check for this important info.

Many people aren't!

Many are looking to get an Apple iDevice as cheaply as possible and will purchase from anywhere where they can find an Apple product cheap, not realising that sometimes purchasing a Apple device from an unknown or unreliable source for an inexpensive price, comes with its own "hidden" price!

AND that price is a non-functioning, activation locked iDevice that these people will never get working!

Jan 28, 2017 11:40 PM in response to Dustin2323

The model ID number and Serial No. are on the back of the iPad.

The model and serial no. maybe in very small type on the back.

You may need a magnifying glass to read that info.

You can get the model ORDER number to comfirm the storage size, also.

This would be found on the iPad's original box packaging, if this iPad has the original packaging.

Jan 29, 2017 1:14 AM in response to Briansyddall

The box is useless really when determining storage. There is no way to tell if it even came in that box at all. They could just get a 64GB box and sell it as 16GB.

You need to look in the hardware of the iPad for your answers. The serial number and compacity is in the general settings under "about".

Also, as everyone else has mentioned, and we know you already know, but it for other readers....check Apple.com and cross reference the serial number for an "activation lock".

Take care

Buying used iPad can I look up storage by serial?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.