Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding chapters to mp4 or m4v video content?

I've added chapters to video before using QT Pro, but now I'd like to do it so that they're viewable on my iPod Video.

I've tried - unsuccessfully, using the standard process (see: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutorials/chaptertracks.html). I get a .mov file that's playable on my iPod but with no chapters. I've even tried exporting the file to other formats (mp4, m4v) with no success.

I know the iPod supports chapters for Podcasts and Audiobooks, but maybe not for video?

G4 iMac 1G RAM, Mac OS X (10.4.8), iPod Video 30GB, iPod nano 2GB

Posted on Dec 25, 2006 2:06 PM

15 replies

Dec 25, 2006 2:48 PM in response to David M Brewer

So you're saying I should save the original video as a .mov (or mp4 or m4v) file, then open it in QT and add chapters and then do a 'Save as'...?

Maybe that's the problem. I've been working with mp4s that I've added chapters to and then saved as .mov files. If I convert it to a .mov file first, save it and then add chapters and save it then it should work eh?

Dec 25, 2006 5:34 PM in response to philsmac

So you're saying I should save the original video as a .mov (or mp4 or m4v) file, then open it in QT and add chapters and then do a 'Save as'...?
No, it is not necessary to start with media in a MOV container. What David is saying is that you can't put chapter markers on your media (either manually or in an application like iMovie) and then export/convert your file to another compression format. If you do, the chapter data will be lost. Instead, export/convert to your target compression format first. Then chapter the file and use "Save AS..." to save the file with the chapter track.

I personally prefer using a dedicated application like Metadata Hootenanny (free) to chapter the files. (I.e., use the integrated timeline thumbnails to approximate your chapter points by double-clicking on the thumbnail and then switch to the integrated player to step to the exact frame you wish to chapter. Now, switch to the chapter list area and press the "plus" button to add the current time index of the play head to your chapter list. When finished, simply save the file. Since the MOV file container cannot be associated with "artwork" in iTunes, I add one more step to the workflow. I open the chaptered file in QT Pro, drop the "artwork" graphic to an appropriate location, and it as the "poster frame," and then save the file again using "Save As..." to change the fie name which, depending on the initial type file container, may now contain a doubled file extension -- e.g., ".mp4" is usually changed to an ".mp4.mov" file extension.

User uploaded file

Dec 26, 2006 3:48 PM in response to Kyn Drake

I don't own any iPod (still have a good AM radio on top of the fridge) so I can't be sure about text tracks.
Chapter tracks are also text tracks but rather than show in the video area they appear in the controller.
How would an iPod viewer react to a QuickTime controller when none are displayed during playback on an iPod?
I suspect a text track could be included (easily) but it will never appear on an iPod. Play many Podcasts on your Mac and you'll see the controller and the chapter tracks.

Dec 26, 2006 4:13 PM in response to QuickTimeKirk

For example, the only way to add chapters to a podcast is using Apple's ChapterTool or an app that uses it (like GarageBand). The classic way of creating chapters does not create a chaptered podcast and the way of creating a chaptered podcast doesn't work to create chaptered videos.

The original poster was looking for a way to create chapters in a video such that you see these chapters on an iPod and I don't think a way exists.

Dec 26, 2006 4:31 PM in response to Kyn Drake

I was under the impression that there isn't currently exist a way to put chapters in a video such that they appear on the iPod (The same way movies purchased from iTunes has chapters).
Not sure if iTunes sold chaptering is different from normal chaptering (never purchased any movies), but "normal" chaptering has worked on the iPod since the v1.2 firmware upgrade. Pressing the "select" center button while watching a movie puts the iPod into the "FF/Chapter" mode of operation. In addition to "fast forwarding" or "rewinding" in the normal manner, if the movie is chaptered, the chapter markers are displayed on the playback progress bar. While in this mode the "jump to beginning/jump to end" keys (left and right wheel areas) now jump to next or previous chapter locations.

Does Metadata Hootenanny now create iPod-happy chapters?
Mine seem to work perfectly but the application itself is till a bit "flakey" as far as its interface. You can graphically scan frame thumnails at a user set interval to manually insert chapter markers, load and insert text file chapter markers, extract chapter markers from an iMovie chaptered reference movie and insert them into the converted target file, or extract chapter data from files in a VIDEO_TS folder/image and insert them. Never used it myself, but you supposedly can even import chapter data from the internet.

Have only made one test file of a full lenth feature as most of my current work deals with the conversion of old movie serials and TV shows for iPod/"iTV" compatibility. It is only an MPEG4/AAC in the original profile using settings to keep the quality poor enough to make the file "less than suitable" for others to copy for their own use. However, if I get the chance later on, will try to post a link so you can evaluate iPod chaptering or you can e-mail me and I can send you a reference file linked to the server.

User uploaded file

Dec 26, 2006 8:05 PM in response to philsmac

Oh - by the way, the iPod does support chaptering in .mov video.
I've gotten it to work by following Apple's Quicktime tutorial on Chapter Tracks. The only thing I had to change in order for it to work was to omit step 12 (see: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutorials/chaptertracks.html). I leave the text track enabled in the 'Show Movie Properties' window.

When viewing the video through Quicktime, the text is visable - on the iPod it's not. Chapter breaks appear on the iPod's progress bar when selecting the center button during video playback and chapters are navigatable via the 'next' and 'previous' buttons.

Adding chapters to mp4 or m4v video content?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.