Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Official Apple driver download for Laserwriter 16/600

Is there an Apple driver download for MB Pro 2011 running OS 10.11.6 connected over ethernet to print to LaserWriter 16/600 PS without using another computer as a server? My Intel Core Duo iMac7.1 (which can't run Classic OS 9.0) running OS 10.4.11 connected through ethernet recognizes and prints to the LaserWriter 16/600 and "shares" the printer. The MB Pro 2011 only recognizes and prints to the 16/600 if the iMac is turned on. I want the MB Pro 2011 to print to the LaserWriter 16/600 without depending on the iMac. Then I want to update the iMac OS.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Jan 29, 2017 3:17 PM

7 replies

Jan 29, 2017 3:43 PM in response to MightyMac1

Apple LaserWriter Printers with Ethernet and Built-in LPD:

LaserWriter 8500 (Ethernet)

LaserWriter 12/640 PS (Ethernet)

Color LaserWriter 12/660 PS (Ethernet)

Color LaserWriter 12/600 PS (Ethernet)

LaserWriter 16/600PS (Ethernet)

LaserWriter Pro 810 (Ethernet)

set up that Printer as an IP Printer that uses Line Printer Daemon LPD, and live happily ever after.

If that is not making sense, please post back for more help.

Jan 29, 2017 5:24 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I've tried your suggestion and the printer seems to be set up, but when I print to it from MB Pro 2011 the computer shows printer queue messages: "copying print data" then "connected to printer" then the printer goes into pause mode. When I click to resume printer it repeats the process then goes into automatic pause mode again. In Preferences the "Printers & Scanners" shows the LW 16/600 with a Yellow button and "Paused, Last Used" message. Deleting the printer only lets me repeat the process. I noted the D-Link 10/100 model DSS-5+ ethernet switch to which the LW 16/600 is connected via a Farallon dongle doesn't show a green light on the switch port going to the printer like it does on ports connected to other printers. I checked all ethernet cables which all work and the same cables and switch work fine to print on the LW 16/600 directly from the iMac when it is turned on and also to print on the LW 16/600 from the MB Pro through the iMac.

Jan 29, 2017 8:12 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for your help. The "dongle" is a foot long cable. At one end is the attachment to the LaserWriter small vertical port. The other end of the dongle has an ethernet port that receives the ethernet cable. The ethernet end of the dongle is green and is about 3 inches long and curves sides about 2 inches wide and an inch thick. It has four small activity lights on it. The light on the switch is green when other printers are plugged in but plugging in the cable to the dongle only has the port light on the switch yellow instead of green like the other port lights.

Official Apple driver download for Laserwriter 16/600

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.