Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn off the microphone in iMessage?

iMessage has a creepy tendency since the update to record what I say when I put my phone down on the table. I don't want this to happen, but I see no way to turn off the microphone. This is a creepy feature of my phone that I really wish did not exist. Please tell me how to make it stop before I make a fool of myself sending a voice message to someone by accident.

Posted on Jan 29, 2017 7:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2017 8:13 PM

Yes, you are right, it doesn’t show up. Others say you have to turn Siri completely off. Ive Already sent several unintended audio messages.

This doesn’t seem to have been ‘beta’d’ enough.

Sending an unintended audio message is too easy of a mistake to make.

14 replies

Jan 30, 2017 8:10 AM in response to Arterial32

Arterial32 wrote:

Because it makes a sound and the. All of a sudden I have a voice message recorded. It shows it on the screen.

I've certainly heard of people hitting it accidentally. However, it doesn't make any noise when it activates. Does this happen when you were using Messages and then put the phone down without either locking the screen or going back to the Home screen? Or does it happen at other times? Do you see evidence of a voice recording in a message bubble?

How do I turn off the microphone in iMessage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.