Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

move a picture to a different folder

I have several folders in photos, I am consolidating pictures into different groups of folders, I can't seem to move a photo from one folder to another then delete the original folder without losing both pictures. I just want to move a picture to another folder without being forced to keep the original folder I took it from.

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.3), Photos V 2.0

Posted on Jan 30, 2017 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2017 6:50 PM

Here's what léonie's describing:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

6 replies

Jan 30, 2017 8:09 AM in response to slider01

I'm not sure, what you are trying to do.

Folders in Photos are holding albums or subfolders, but not photos. Photos can be added to albums or smart albums.

Are you trying to to move photos from one album to another? Then you have to drag the photos to the other album to add them to that that album, and then select the photos in the original album and ctrl-click them remove them from the album with the command "Remove from album". Alternately you can use the delete key to remove the photos from the album. But do not use command-delete ⌘⌫, that would delete the photos from the library and not just remove them from the album.

Jan 30, 2017 9:49 AM in response to slider01

That should work.

And clicking "+" t o add to another album is fine, but I prefer simply to drag the photos to the destination album in the sidebar. Then I do not have to find the album in the list of albums of the "select an Album" dialog. Directly dragging to the album in the sidebar is quicker for me. if you are not using the sidebar, try it. You can reveal the sidebar with ⌥⌘S (or View > Show Sidebar).

Jan 30, 2017 8:25 AM in response to léonie

yes, I am trying to move a picture from one album to another. I think I have figured it out though. I clicked on the picture then hit the + sign and chose the album to place it in, then I just right clicked the original picture and chose to remove it from the album. not positive if its correct but seems to be working, just don't want to lose a picture all together

Jan 30, 2017 8:54 AM in response to slider01

slider01 wrote:

yes, I am trying to move a picture from one album to another. I think I have figured it out though. I clicked on the picture then hit the + sign and chose the album to place it in, then I just right clicked the original picture and chose to remove it from the album. not positive if its correct but seems to be working, just don't want to lose a picture all together

Yes that will work

LN

move a picture to a different folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.