Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No keyboard backlight while using Bootcamp

Hello,

So I've installed a copy of Windows 10 using Bootcamp, everything works perfectly but i can't adjust the keyboard backlight, it's fully off. I've tried to enable and disable the auto brightness adjust but no use. I've reinstalled all the drivers and still nothing, not sure whats wrong.( I can adjust the screen brightness just fine.)

I'm using a 2016 Macbook Pro with TouchBar.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), Windows 10

Posted on Jan 30, 2017 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2017 11:06 PM

Hi,

Currently using a late 13' 2016 MacBook Pro Touch Bar here.

I ran into the same problem too and no matter what I do including SMC reset, downloading the latest Boot Camp and updating it the keyboard back light just refused to turn on.

Short of reinstalling a fresh copy of Windows which I am trying my best to avoid because I think it is silly to just reinstall every time a problem comes up, I fired up Windows Explorer and navigate to Program Files > Boot Camp to see what the heck is going on.

To my amazement, I saw that there was a backup copy of the Bootcamp.exe with the extension renamed to TMP and I do not know how it got there in the first place.

From the date, I saw the it was modified back in Nov 23rd last year. Which was probably the very first time I received my MacBook and had Boot Camp installed if memory served me correctly.

So I renamed the current Bootcamp.exe extension to a temp, had the other temp file renamed back to Bootcamp.exe and I restarted Windows.

Voila, the back light of the keyboard just turned on.

Hope it helps!

User uploaded file

38 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2017 11:06 PM in response to Swipr

Hi,

Currently using a late 13' 2016 MacBook Pro Touch Bar here.

I ran into the same problem too and no matter what I do including SMC reset, downloading the latest Boot Camp and updating it the keyboard back light just refused to turn on.

Short of reinstalling a fresh copy of Windows which I am trying my best to avoid because I think it is silly to just reinstall every time a problem comes up, I fired up Windows Explorer and navigate to Program Files > Boot Camp to see what the heck is going on.

To my amazement, I saw that there was a backup copy of the Bootcamp.exe with the extension renamed to TMP and I do not know how it got there in the first place.

From the date, I saw the it was modified back in Nov 23rd last year. Which was probably the very first time I received my MacBook and had Boot Camp installed if memory served me correctly.

So I renamed the current Bootcamp.exe extension to a temp, had the other temp file renamed back to Bootcamp.exe and I restarted Windows.

Voila, the back light of the keyboard just turned on.

Hope it helps!

User uploaded file

Mar 26, 2017 8:58 AM in response to Loner T

Yes, there are some Broadcom drivers installed e.g.

Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter

Broadcom Serial Bus Driver over UART Bus Enumerator

But there is nothing installed with Serial UART. What confuses me further is that in the section "input devices" there is "Apple SPI Keyboard", "Apple SPI Touchbar" and "Apple Touchbar". I have no problem with the Touchbar or the keyboard. Just the keyboard backlight isn't working even If I press the button for the keyboard backlight button on the Touchbar.

I tried to install again the Bootcamp Support Software but it didn't help. I also tried to remove the keyboard drivers and pick from a list of installed drivers on my machine but there are just two to choose from.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Sep 7, 2017 6:34 AM in response to Swipr

Hi,

I have MBP 2017 with touchbar of course. None solution described before did not help me. I found that the reason lays in Windows version (in my case). I have instaled with bootcamp WINDOWS 10 Home N 1703. It is version with limited media resources. If you upgrade your Windows version with Microsoft patch called Media Feature Pack for Windows 10 N 1703 keyboard`s light starts magically working. Solution works on regular and fresh installation done with Bootcamp method.

Jan 8, 2018 3:19 PM in response to Swipr

In my case solution was bit easier. I figured out Bootcamp.exe was not running in the background, so I tried to run it manually (i.e. Bootcamp executable file) from C:\Program Files\Boot Camp\Bootcamp.exe

Now, all the basic functionalities are working properly (Like WiFi, Brightness, Function Keys, Volume Controller...)

I am using MacBook Pro 15' Inch Retina 2015 Mid Model.

No keyboard backlight while using Bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.