Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phone app stopped notifying me when I get new voicemail

I'm not sure why the phone app on my iPhone SE with the latest iOS (whatever version) stopped notifying me when I get a new voice mail. Before, say if I missed a call and a person left a voicemail, I would get a "ding" which would tell me to check the phone and listen to the voicemail (vs. if it's just some telemarketing that left no voicemail.) But now I don't get those audible dings anymore.

Can someone suggest how to set those up?

PS. Note that I do get a notification on the lock screen of a missed call and a voicemail. I just don't get an audible notification.

Posted on Jan 31, 2017 5:43 PM

4 replies

Feb 2, 2017 6:23 AM in response to Den B.

Thanks for checking those settings, Den B.

Next we would recommend doing a back up of your iPhone.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Then you'll want to reinstall iOS but not do a full factory restore. The title is misleading but you'll want to follow the directions listed below.

If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  3. While your device is connected, force restart it with these steps:
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen.
      User uploaded file
  4. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits recovery mode, let the download finish, then repeat these steps.
    User uploaded file
  5. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device.
Once you've reinstalled iOS, we'd like you to test audible notifications again and let us know the results.

Best wishes.

Feb 1, 2017 12:39 PM in response to Den B.

Hi there, Den B.

Thanks for sharing your question about not getting audible Notifications for Voicemail on your iPhone SE with the Apple Support Communities. I rely on Notifications to ensure I pay attention to what's important, so it's my pleasure to help you out today.

I have a few things we can check to ensure you're able to get your Voicemail notifications. Let's go to Settings > Sounds (or Sounds & Haptics) > and then below SOUNDS AND VIBRATION PATTERNS check New Voicemail and ensure that there is a sound picked. Keep in mind that if your sound has been turned down that you won't be able to hear audible Notifications. You can set your RINGER AND ALERTS volume and prevent the volume from being changed with buttons by putting that setting to the left (if it's to the right it will appear green).

Another setting that can affect your ability to receive audible Notifications is if your iPhone is set to silent. Also check to see if the Do Not Disturb setting is enabled.

Use Do Not Disturb on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Please let me know that this resolved your audible Notifications issue.

Kindly.

Feb 2, 2017 12:01 AM in response to i_rina

Thank you. I just checked, all my settings are exactly like you described them. But still I don't get audible notifications of a new voice mail. Just checked again -- called myself from a work phone, the iPhone rang. I then left a voicemail. Now it's been about 5 minutes and no "ding." I eventually manually unlocked the phone and here it is on the lock screen.

Any idea what else could be causing it?

Phone app stopped notifying me when I get new voicemail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.