Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Precision editing of audio in iMovie 10.1.4?

My 90 second video is slightly out of sync. I want to shift the audio slightly left one frame at a time until I see it's in sync.

I used to be able to do that in older iMovie programs but not in 10.1.4.

Can you tell me how to slightly shift the audio and avoid this automatic magnetic lock to the video?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Feb 1, 2017 1:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2017 5:03 AM

The right and left arrow keys only move the playhead by one frame (10 frames if the alt key is down). When you drag the selected audio track it will move in steps, each of which corresponds to one frame. With the timeline fully expanded the steps will be easily visible.

4 replies

Feb 1, 2017 7:44 PM in response to GeeD

Thanks for your reply Geoff but it's not working for me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I did detach the audio and I did select the full audio clip. I held down the shift key and advanced left with the left arrow on the lower right of the keyboard. But that action only moved the timeline one frame at a time, not the clip itself. I am able to grab the clip and drag it to the left but that is far from precision editing.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Feb 2, 2017 5:08 AM in response to GeeD

Yes this is why the Internet exists. I'm convinced that without the Internet, giving mere mortals such as myself the chance to get tech advice from guys like Geoff, people wouldn't buy all these tech toys, with all these bells and whistles because they are just too frustrating.

It took some practice and it was far more complicated than it needed to be. (I remember the ease of moving an audio clip one frame at a time in early FCP). But it worked. I was able to adjust the one out of sync audio track.

Thanks Geoff.

Precision editing of audio in iMovie 10.1.4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.