Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference returns June 10, 2024

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ARD does not work with OS X Sierra

So here is my story:

Mac Mini 2014 Server, runs headless, updated from 10.9.5 to OS X Sierra 10.12.0

When rebooted, could not connect to the Mac Mini via ARD, ( v.3.8) as the screen first

came up Black, and then after several forced reboots via ARD, then it came up split screen.

Still could not login to the Server.

Had to connect a monitor to the server to be able to login, but once I was able to login, I could

disconnect the monitor and ARD works as it should.

Now, just recently upgraded to 10.12.3 on this server, and upon reboot of said server,

I now cannot connect again to the server via ARD.

After escalating to Apple, their only response is to re-install the operating system with a Monitor

attached, to see if that fixes the issue.

I'm posting this for anyone who is having this issue and would wonder what Apple would say to do.

Mac mini, macOS Sierra (10.12.3), iMac running 10.11.06 and ARD 3.8

Posted on Feb 1, 2017 1:41 PM

7 replies

Oct 12, 2017 1:44 PM in response to Paul Johnson13

I'm running ARD 3.9 (382A110) on 10.12.6 client, accessing headless Mac mini systems, and the screens do go black when the displays sleep on the mini, but it otherwise works as expected, and selecting ARD and using the trackpad to wake the display on the Mac mini works as expected. I'm also managing the remote boxes using Server.app, and that works as expected as well. That all written, there's also been a longstanding "issue" around the available display sizes selected with headless Mac systems, and that can be usually resolved with a purchased or homemade VGA dongle, or maybe (haven't personally tried this) with the Display Menu app.

Feb 3, 2017 4:22 PM in response to Terry Jackson1

I had a similar issue with ARD.

I have two headless Mac minis that I remote into with ARD. After installing Sierra on each of the minis, each mini had a number of display issues when connecting with ARD. I connected a display to each of them, and rebooted. ARD worked perfectly. No ARD issues after disconnecting the display.

So, it appears that a headless boot causes the problems.

Connecting a display whenever I have to reboot the minis will be a hassle, but at least I am no longer blocked.

Mac minis are on Sierra 10.12.3; ARD is running on my main iMac also running Sierra 10.12.3; ARD 3.8

Feb 8, 2017 5:48 AM in response to Terry Jackson1

Well, our symptoms are really similar to this issue.

I had a similar issue with the version 10.12.1. Except when we did the first login locally (not ARD). The users were then able to connect remotely with ARD and open a session.

Now I have updated to 10.12.3 and it works for local users but Network users still unable to connect thru ARD. Our workaround is to use a local account to connect to the MAC then open a session with the network user.

Could Apple resolve this ASAP?

ARD does not work with OS X Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.