You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I connect 3 monitors to an Imac

I'm thinking of buying the All in one IMac desktop. But I need help in how building a 3 monitor setup? If I need a laptop, I'll buy that instead. I am thinking of purchasing 3 of these monitors.

(HP 27es Full HD 27 Inch IPS LED Monitor)

Can someone help me understand how to have a triple monitor setup? Either laptop or desktop?

Posted on Feb 1, 2017 6:47 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2017 10:29 AM

The 2015 MacBook Pro can only support up to 2 external displays.

It has 2 Thunderbolt ports which can be used for the displays.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) - Technical Specifications

• Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840 by 2160 pixels on up to two external displays, both at millions of colors.
  • Thunderbolt digital video output
    • Native Mini DisplayPort output
    • DVI, VGA, dual-link DVI, and HDMI output supported using Mini DisplayPort adapters (sold separately)
    • Support for up to 5120-by-2880 resolution at 60Hz on a single external display (model with AMD Radeon R9 M370X only)

It may be possible to get a 3rd monitor to run if it has the secondary optional AMD Radeon graphics card and an external thunderbolt dock with an additional thunderbolt output, but the setup is not really supported.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 2, 2017 10:29 AM in response to edgar2003

The 2015 MacBook Pro can only support up to 2 external displays.

It has 2 Thunderbolt ports which can be used for the displays.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) - Technical Specifications

• Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840 by 2160 pixels on up to two external displays, both at millions of colors.
  • Thunderbolt digital video output
    • Native Mini DisplayPort output
    • DVI, VGA, dual-link DVI, and HDMI output supported using Mini DisplayPort adapters (sold separately)
    • Support for up to 5120-by-2880 resolution at 60Hz on a single external display (model with AMD Radeon R9 M370X only)

It may be possible to get a 3rd monitor to run if it has the secondary optional AMD Radeon graphics card and an external thunderbolt dock with an additional thunderbolt output, but the setup is not really supported.

Feb 1, 2017 7:16 PM in response to edgar2003

Yes. You can setup an extended desktop between 3 monitors, and have different Apps in in each:

Use multiple displays with your Mac - Apple Support

Set up an extended desktop

When you use your displays as one continuous desktop, you can spread out your work any way you like. Move your pointer past the edge of one display and it appears on the other display. At first, your primary display has all of your desktop icons and open app windows. You can drag them to the other display as needed.

Feb 2, 2017 7:05 AM in response to edgar2003

Which MacBook Pro exactly? Depending Model you'll need different cables.

Also you want 3 screens plus the built in screen on the MacBook Pro for a total of 4? Or do you want 3 total. The Builtin screen and 2 external ones?

For the newest 2016 Model, you'll need USB-C to HDMI adapters:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter

Depending on model of MacBook Pro you may need a dock for a 3rd external monitor and charging, since some models only have 2 USB-C ports.

How do I connect 3 monitors to an Imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.