Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My news widget disappeared after updating my phone

I updated my phone to 10.2.1 and soon after I discovered my news widget was missing. It wasn't showing up even in the widget settings and Siri could locate it neither could spotlight search. I need help please cause I use that widget daily to stay up to date the recent happenings.

Posted on Feb 1, 2017 8:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2017 9:51 PM

Are you in the U.S., United Kingdom or Australia? If not, News is not yet available.

Use News on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you are in one of the above countries, you can find and download the News App in the App Store.

19 replies

Mar 13, 2017 1:32 AM in response to dann_andrey

I was having this problem (iPhone 5c with iOS 10.2.1 in Italy) and Apple Support provided to me a step-by-step procedure to fix this issue:

1. Open Settings → General → Language & Region, switch Region to United States and confirm.
  2. Wait for iOS to apply the change then open the Notification Center, touch the Search field, press Cancel (you don't need to type anything) and close the Notification Center.
  3. Open Settings app → General → Language & Region, switch Region back to your country name and confirm.
  4. Wait for iOS to apply the change then open the Notification Center, touch the Search field, press Cancel (you don't need to type anything) and close the Notification Center.
  5. You should see the News widget again.

Jan 26, 2018 1:10 PM in response to tcgvr

I had this same problem. Apple Support provided the following fix that worked for me:

1. Switch currently used region on the device (Settings > General > Language & Region) to United States. Verify the News app is missing from Home Screen (use Spotlight Search if customer has many apps).

2. Go to "Settings > iTunes & App Store".

3. Sign out of Apple ID. Verify you have successfully signed out before proceeding to the next step.

4. Open Safari and use the following link: https://appsto.re/us/KFxK_.i

- When opening the link in iOS Safari app, the App Store app will open and prompt user to switch the region for the App Store. Confirm this request.

5. App Store then should load News app (it might be necessary to tap again on the same URL if you receive prompt to switch the App Store region). Tap cloud symbol to download News app.

6. Next, change region on their iOS device to the region that is matching your current location.

7. Go to Widgets view, and if News widget is still missing, tap on Edit button to browse through available widgets.

8. Locate and add News Widget to the list of enabled widgets.

9. When done, sign in with their Apple ID in "Settings > iTunes & App Store". Verify App Store region has been changed to previously used region.

My news widget disappeared after updating my phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.