Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen glitching and eventually freezing (pic)

My iMac is a 2009 model refurbished one.

On Saturday I noticed my screen glitch, gave strange colours and patterns, and then eventually the computer froze about 5-10 seconds later. At this point the music/sound was jumping/ repeating too. I turned the computer off and then left it for about 30 minutes and turned it back on and everything seemed as normal. Started up fine and I was able to use it the rest of the day.

Then on Wednesday the problem came back, the same process happened, and I was able to continue using it after giving the computer a break.

Then today (thurs) it happened again, only this time I was not able to start it back up. It glitched from startup and froze before I could login (pictured).

It has been a hot Australian summer which may have contributed? Also, I transported the computer in a car trip to and from a place 2 weeks ago, I don't know if that contributed or not. Or maybe it's just getting old? How long is the expected shelf life of a iMac anyway?

Please help. My livelihood depends on this computer, so any help will be magnified x a million to me.

Please ask for any details I left out. Thank you

User uploaded file

Posted on Feb 2, 2017 4:50 AM

15 replies

Feb 14, 2017 3:53 AM in response to Barncore

It looks like your video card is "dying". This happened to me a couple years ago. It can be fixed and you should get your drive backed up with Time Machine ASAP and then get it in for repair.

To test this: If you have access to another computer and put it on the "network" in your house, see if you can access the files from there. If you can access your files, your drive is fine. Just get it backed up for obvious reasons.

Feb 14, 2017 2:07 PM in response to BDAqua

Temps are between 30 and 50 degrees celsius, depending on what i'm doing with the computer and how fast i set the fans. Mostly hovers around 35-40 when browsing the internet. Right now i'm at 25 degrees and 4500 rpm, but i just turned the cpu on and it's cold outside.

I had the computer on for almost 12 hours yesterday and no glitches. I feel pretty good about this.

Screen glitching and eventually freezing (pic)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.