Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Only guest account show up at login screen

I put my MacBook Pro in sleep mode and when I tried to open it, it tells me that the password isn't correct every time, so I restarted it and at the log in screen I was only given the guest account!

I tried everything and nothing worked

I checked the storage and it seems like my files still there

Posted on Feb 2, 2017 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2017 4:56 AM

IT WORKED! Thank you so much

Here what happened exactly for those who have the same problem:

I reset the password in recovery mode, and restarted the computer, and now I can see another option at the login screen where i can type my user name and password, if your old username doesn't work, instead type "root" in the username, and the new password you just reset, and you'll get access to a new administrator account, not your old account that got disappeared. So now what you want to do is go to system preferences>accounts and groups, and make a new account with the same account name you lost, and a message will appear saying that "a folder with the same name already exists, do you want to write over it?" Or something like that, just agree to it, now log out and you can see your old account, log in and you'll see everything just like the way you left it!! Yay!

Ps: even tho everything was back in place, my mac doesn't function the way it used to, it's super slow and apps keep crashing.. I backed it up and I will reset it and see what happens

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2017 4:56 AM in response to Schwigs

IT WORKED! Thank you so much

Here what happened exactly for those who have the same problem:

I reset the password in recovery mode, and restarted the computer, and now I can see another option at the login screen where i can type my user name and password, if your old username doesn't work, instead type "root" in the username, and the new password you just reset, and you'll get access to a new administrator account, not your old account that got disappeared. So now what you want to do is go to system preferences>accounts and groups, and make a new account with the same account name you lost, and a message will appear saying that "a folder with the same name already exists, do you want to write over it?" Or something like that, just agree to it, now log out and you can see your old account, log in and you'll see everything just like the way you left it!! Yay!

Ps: even tho everything was back in place, my mac doesn't function the way it used to, it's super slow and apps keep crashing.. I backed it up and I will reset it and see what happens

Feb 6, 2017 6:30 AM in response to Weif XB

Take the cursor on apple logo & logout the guest user account , restart the machine go to system preferences > users and groups , select the guest user account and click on minus sign , a window appears check the last option delete the home folder securely .

Next time when you login your admin name & password field will be shown .

An article to be read : macOS Sierra: Delete a user or group

Only guest account show up at login screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.