Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to pair iOS remote app with apple tv3 without remote

hi,

Apple tv remote is lost. Apple TV 3 is connected to my home network via Ethernet cable. It appears that home sharing is not enabled on the Apple TV.

MY I phone is connected to my home wifi and I can do airplay. I have downloaded the Apple TV remote app but it requires the to be paired with Apple TV, which obviously requires Remote.

I Installed the remote all, it says you need to turn on the home sharing on the Apple TV, again it requires the remote.

IT seems like there is no way to configure iOS remote app in absence of remote.

i seen various posts talking about how to configure iOS app if you loose remote but nothing worked for me. I am not sure if older versions of Apple TV software did not require pairing or home sharing and folks were able to use the iOS app.

I Have a Bluetooth keyboard which I use with my laptop/windows, this keyboard requires the dongle to be connected to the Computer. So I a, not sure if there is any way to connect this keyboard to the Apple TV.

I Do not have micro USB cable so I can not reset the Apple TV to factory settings.

ANy thoughts would be much appreciated.

Posted on Feb 2, 2017 8:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2017 11:53 PM

Depending on which Apple TV you have you may be able to set up the Apple TV from your mobile device. You will need a 3rd generation Apple TV for later running software version 6.0 or later and an iOS device running iOS 9.1 or later.

Restore your Apple TV. When the Apple TV setup screen appears, unlock your iOS device and make sure Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are turned on. Touch your iOS device to Apple TV and follow the onscreen instructions on your iOS device and Apple TV.

Automatic setup doesn’t transfer account information for third-party apps such as Netflix or Hulu, and doesn’t turn on iTunes Match or Home Sharing.

If this doesn't work, you don't have an iOS mobile device or your equipment doesn't meet the minimum requirements, you may wish to look at ciderTV for Mac OSX, once you have installed the app on your Mac...

• Check that Bluetooth is On & Discoverable;
  • Keep Bluetooth preferences window open during pairing;
  • Connect Apple TV to your Mac via USB cable and reset it in iTunes app;
  • Turn Apple TV on and wait until it finds your Mac. A pop-up window will appear that says “Pairing Request from Apple TV”;
  • Tap "Pair";
  • You will see CiderTV control interface with buttons.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2017 11:53 PM in response to skb0007

Depending on which Apple TV you have you may be able to set up the Apple TV from your mobile device. You will need a 3rd generation Apple TV for later running software version 6.0 or later and an iOS device running iOS 9.1 or later.

Restore your Apple TV. When the Apple TV setup screen appears, unlock your iOS device and make sure Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are turned on. Touch your iOS device to Apple TV and follow the onscreen instructions on your iOS device and Apple TV.

Automatic setup doesn’t transfer account information for third-party apps such as Netflix or Hulu, and doesn’t turn on iTunes Match or Home Sharing.

If this doesn't work, you don't have an iOS mobile device or your equipment doesn't meet the minimum requirements, you may wish to look at ciderTV for Mac OSX, once you have installed the app on your Mac...

• Check that Bluetooth is On & Discoverable;
  • Keep Bluetooth preferences window open during pairing;
  • Connect Apple TV to your Mac via USB cable and reset it in iTunes app;
  • Turn Apple TV on and wait until it finds your Mac. A pop-up window will appear that says “Pairing Request from Apple TV”;
  • Tap "Pair";
  • You will see CiderTV control interface with buttons.

How to pair iOS remote app with apple tv3 without remote

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.