Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pause iCloud Desktop Sync

The Reason for the TOPIC : Enough is enough.

The Problem :

I'm using and paying for iCloud storage on more than 5 accounts. I'm syncing my iMac and MacBook Pro continuously. Sometimes, there is a slow internet connection in my house or my work or somewhere else. When the internet connection speed problem occurs, and at the same I might be in need of some internet for sending mail or receiving doesn't matter, then I have problem.

The Need

I NEED TO BE ABLE PAUSE iCloud Desktop SYNC (download or upload) temporarily when I want.

It is good to use same desktop in different computers, and I don't like using dropbox or anything else because I like it this way. Clean and simple. But I need to be able to PAUSE it whenever I want. I can decide if I'm in urgent need of the file being in sync or not. I'm writing this as a feedback for this service to APPLE.

And also, I ask community members to tell me, if there is a nice workaround to this problem for the time being.

There are lots of questions about this issue but not a single clear topic in them.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Feb 3, 2017 12:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2017 1:11 AM

What is this an answer ? Don't make this page full of garbage.

I telling that I want to to pause so I can use the internet AND YOUR SUGGESTION is the stop the internet.

Thank you, you were very helpful. 😠

16 replies

Nov 13, 2017 10:34 PM in response to makin11

I just switched this on and have 300Gb to sync... and with Lightroom trying to sync another few hundred Gb at the same time, I just want to pause it... so I google for the answer (I'm thinking "where is the pause button") and here I am. With advice to disconnect the internet or mess with firewall settings...

Apple, you know that every other sync service has a pause feature. Google, Microsoft, Amazon... is there any file syncing service other than yours that lacks a pause? I didn't check. You did, right? You are competent professionals. You did your research. And yet you still don't have the feature. Product manager and dev lead, I know you live in a feature-resistant culture - and yes, that is why we like your products. And this is a great feature. Nicely done. Thanks. But occasionally simple and elegant is also a little unusable. You offer a 2Tb iCloud. Your product is unfinished for those customers.

You already built the "pause" feature, right? Please put it in a minor update. Thank you in advance.

Nov 16, 2017 7:41 AM in response to makin11

Dear Malin11

I had the exactamente same Problem, and I am very interested in finding a "Pause Botton" solution. I did figure out a work around, that did solve the issue but it is a bit of a hassle, but not too much at least. iCloud sync is not possible to pause, but you can take out the files that haven't sync out of the folder to a Temporary Folder (I created one I my root/user folder "DeskTop Temp NoSync"). Then I search for any folders and a files that where marked as Not Sync yet (they are the ones with the small cloud beside the name)

User uploaded file

Then I moved them to my temp Folder, as you do this I makes you a warning since you are taking them out of the iCloud Drive.

User uploaded file

This, you will see in the finder view that used to look like this...

User uploaded file

is Now

User uploaded file

You can check in the activity monitor your network traffic should lower significantly.

You can move the folders from the temp folder to the iCloud folder as you see fit, for example before going to bed, but not all at once, I would go from the smaller ones to the biggest.

Well I hope you find this answer useful, and I really hope your request makes it to the apple Sierra developer people so they solve this the easy way!!

Enjoy!

Feb 3, 2017 1:16 AM in response to rbakelaar

I was wrong I guess may have found a solution

Try this:

Go to Firewall in System Preferences.

Turn it (the Firewall) on if it is not already turned on.

Click Firewall Options.

Click the + sign to add an app to the List.

Find and select the Finder.app file on the window that opens.

This should be at /System/Library/CoreServices folder

After adding it to the list; Change "Allow incoming connections" to "Block incoming connections".

Click Ok.

Credit to majd88: How do you pause iCloud Drive from syncing?

Dec 4, 2017 9:44 AM in response to Veluto

I think I found the solution to temporary pause iCloud desktop sync. Go to the Activity Network and click on the Network tab. Kill "nsurlsessiond" process. You can relaunch it afterwards by just relaunching Safari.
It's working for me in High Sierra, please let me know if it's working for you as well.

Feb 3, 2017 12:50 AM in response to makin11

There is no way to pause the syncing process. Sierra was designed to store desktop and documents in the cloud. How ever if you wish you can choose to disable desktop and document by going to System preferences > iCloud > Click on options beside iCloud Drive and turn off desktop and documents. Keep in mind this may cause data loss. So make sure to download your documents first and back them up. Here's an article that goes in to greater detail: Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive

Sep 19, 2017 3:52 PM in response to makin11

And you were given the answer immediately

There is no way to pause the syncing process.

Since you are bothered by the continuing comments on this thread which had been answered why do you keep posting?

You want to pause it and you can not do that so you either use it the way it works or you quit using it - neither you nor anyone here can change the way it works, we can only explain to you how it does work

LN

Pause iCloud Desktop Sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.