Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture and Fuji XT2 RAW files.

I upgraded to Sierra today with some trepidation given the mixed reports about it working under Sierra. The reason being I still use it as my main editing and DAM program for photography. However I bought a Fuji XT2 camera and those RAW files are not supported in El Capitan or Yosemite. I upgraded to Sierra today and Aperture seems to be working fine with my main Aperture library. However when I imported Fuji XT2 RAW files in, Aperture showed the preview images fine but then when clicked upon to edit Aperture displayed an unsupported file message. If I imports these same RAW files using the Photos App it imports properly and identifies them as Fuji XT2 RAW files and allows me to edit them in Photos. Anyone got any ideas how I can get Aperture to allow me to edit Fuji XT2 RAW files?

Posted on Feb 3, 2017 11:42 AM

6 replies

Feb 4, 2017 6:56 AM in response to jimlaide

I tested the "Share to Aperture" from Photos with a few high resolution RAW files. The shared file will have the same pixel size as the original, but due to the JPEG compression a smaller file size. The quality seems to be the same as exporting with "JPEG Quality > High". If that does not suffice for your big quality printing projects, you could export the developed RAW files from Photos as a TIFF file.

The file size will be really huge, but give you the quality you need.

Testing with a 32MB CR2 file, it has been exported as a 144MB TIFF. Aperture sometimes has problems with very large TIFFs, so test, if you really will go for 16bit TIFFs.

User uploaded file

Feb 5, 2017 9:06 AM in response to léonie

Thanks léonie I also experimented with exporting from the photos App as a 16 bit Tiff file for printing purposes. The file sizes as you say are around 144MB each. My current Aperture library is over 190GB and I want to keep my library on my hard drive for better performance and not on an external drive. Given that I have a couple projects coming up and I need a simpler workflow that allows me to easily edit the XT2 RAW files. I bought and downloaded a standalone version of Lightroom 6.8 which supports these RAW files. Aperture is broken for me under Sierra as Soft Screen Proofing is not working. There was always going to come a day when I would have to leave Aperture behind. It's a pity I am not a huge fan of Lihghtroom but I can use Luminar as a plugin within it and hope they get there DAM and printing upgrades out. Thanks for your time and help.

Jim

Feb 3, 2017 11:59 AM in response to jimlaide

The RAW support page has a footnote for the Fuji XT2: Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 10 and macOS Sierra - Apple Support

Fujifilm X-Pro2, Fujifilm X-T2: Uncompressed RAW format only

Did you shoot your RAW files in a compressed format? Then they are not supported.

But anyway, we have seen several questions here about the most recent RAW support that comes with Sierra. None of the recently supported cameras. seem to be supported in Aperture. Aperture seems to be using an older RAW support, see this discussion: Re: Is anyone here using a Canon 5D MarkIV with Aperture?

When I checked the RAW support file in the Terminal that Aperture 3.6 is using, your Fuji camera seems to be missing.

strings /System/Library/CoreServices/RawCamera.bundle/Contents/MacOS/RawCamera | grep Fujifilm | grep X

RCID_FujifilmFinePixX10

RCID_FujifilmFinePixX100

RCID_FujifilmFinePixX10 dng

dng.adobe.FujifilmFinePixX10

RCID_FujifilmFinePixX100 dng

dng.adobe.FujifilmFinePixX100

Feb 4, 2017 5:33 AM in response to jimlaide

Thanks for your prompt reply. I shot the files in compressed format as I had seen that footnote beforehand.

But you need to shoot in Uncompressed RAW to be able to use the RAW support, or is that a typo?

If your RAW images are uncompressed, you should be able to delelope them in Photos for Mac, that comes with Sierra, and then use the command Share > Add to Aperture to save the developed image files to Aperture.

But none of the recent RAW Support from this list seems to be working in Aperture 3.6:

Additional formats supported by iOS 10.2 and macOS 10.12.2

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

Canon EOS M5

Fujifilm X-T2

Nikon D3400

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-G8 / G80 / G85

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-LX9 / LX10 / LX15

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ2500

Pentax K-70

Feb 4, 2017 6:09 AM in response to léonie

Once again thank you for your reply. I had already upgraded to Sierra earlier this morning and have been experimenting with Photos App to access the Fuji XT2 files. I had originally hoped to import the RAW files into Photos and then do my editing in Luminar as a plugin. I will move my workflow to the Luminar App when they bring out a DAM version in an upgrade sometime this year. It's a very powerful photo editing App. However when acting as an extension in Photos you can not access it's main menu structure so it's not possible to send to Aperture. I need the printing capabilities of Aperture as both Luminar and the Photos App are pretty basic. However the fundamental problem is that if I edit the RAW files in Luminar or in the Photos App and sent them from Photos to Aperture then photos sends a small JPEG file of only 3.48MB so not much use for fine art printing. Once again thanks for your help.

Jim

Aperture and Fuji XT2 RAW files.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.