Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buying an Apple Store Gift Card from someone else at a discount, good or bad?

Hi all, I'm trying to save some money in buying a macbook pro, and have the idea of buying Apple Store Gift cards at 10% discount from other people on classifieds ads sites to pay for the laptop. For example I can buy a $1000 Apple Store Gift card for $900. This way I'll save 10% or $100.

They are willing to meet at the apple store to confirm the balance and authenticity. The card will be large denominations of $1000 or more to cover the macbook pro 15" expense. Let's say I go ahead and meet with the person, and the gift cards are all legit with the correct balance remaining. I pay them the $900 for the $1000 gift card and the transaction is complete. Now since they know the gift card codes from having used the gift card before (they made a small purchase), are they then able to go and buy something immediately on the Apple Store online using the gift card code? If so that would mean I would lose $900 cash and they get to buy something using the card they just sold me, so long as they use it before I do, and I'm left with nothing?

Is there anyway around it like getting the gift card to be put into my name so only I could use it?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Feb 3, 2017 11:42 PM

4 replies

Feb 4, 2017 11:14 AM in response to ckuan

I just called Apple they said if it's been peeled then they can go ahead and purchase something online with it right afterwards. If it's not peeled it's safer but not less risky because he didn't know how else the card could be tampered with even if they verify the balance in store. I think it's not worth the risk in this case.

Buying an Apple Store Gift Card from someone else at a discount, good or bad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.