Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

work name - latest iTunes

In iTunes now where the song title box is, there is now something called work name that you label your song titles as well. This appears new. My songs are labelled correctly in iTunes under song title but when I import into my iPhone, the song title is wrong and default to the artists name unless I manually change it in the work name field on my phone. How can I fix my songs as they displayed right for years in all my previous iPhones and now it looks like a mess. I don't have time to re-label 10,000 songs especially since they appear correct in iTunes.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Feb 4, 2017 4:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2017 5:21 AM

Hi Soctheo,

This new "work" field is meant mostly for classical music collectors, to provide some extra tagging options. It sounds like in your case it has really messed things up, somehow.

Here's something to test. In iTunes, select a track (or a batch of tracks) so that they're highlighted. Try to find tracks that are giving you problems, if you can. Then open the Get Info window (from the Edit menu or by tying Command-I). Near the top, there's a check box labeled "Use work and movement." If that's checked, then definitely un-check it. If it's not checked, that's more of a puzzle. You might try checking it ON, closing the window, then opening it again and checking the box OFF — this is meant to force iTunes to recognize the change.

Theoretically, you could process your entire library in one batch this way, if the process seems to fix anything.

Maybe somebody else will have a more expert solution.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2017 5:21 AM in response to Soctheo

Hi Soctheo,

This new "work" field is meant mostly for classical music collectors, to provide some extra tagging options. It sounds like in your case it has really messed things up, somehow.

Here's something to test. In iTunes, select a track (or a batch of tracks) so that they're highlighted. Try to find tracks that are giving you problems, if you can. Then open the Get Info window (from the Edit menu or by tying Command-I). Near the top, there's a check box labeled "Use work and movement." If that's checked, then definitely un-check it. If it's not checked, that's more of a puzzle. You might try checking it ON, closing the window, then opening it again and checking the box OFF — this is meant to force iTunes to recognize the change.

Theoretically, you could process your entire library in one batch this way, if the process seems to fix anything.

Maybe somebody else will have a more expert solution.

Feb 4, 2017 12:10 PM in response to richard grant

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your help. Tried your suggestion but it didn't work unfortunately. Oddly going through my ITunes library, cds that I ripped were not affected. Only my digital music including my purchases from the ITunes Store. iTunes is defaulting to the work name not song title when importing the music to the iPhone even when I click the box you suggestion. The correct title only appears if I fix each song individually on my phone. I think Apple did a terrible job with this update and I'm going to spend a whole fixing it on my phone as I don't want to guess what song is what. Went to the local Apple Store today and they have gotten some complaints too about this so I'm not alone. Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated

Soctheo

work name - latest iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.