Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it safe to delete core dump files from Mac?

I have a Macbook Pro running masOS Sierra 10.12.2. I recently started clearing out storage on my computer by moving majority of my files and photos to an external hard drive. However, I can't seem to figure out why "system" is taking up so much space.

User uploaded file

I ran OmniDiskSweeper and I found 383.4 GB of "core" files. What are these and is it safe to delete them?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.2)

Posted on Feb 4, 2017 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2017 3:11 AM

The /cores folder is where OS X stores Core Dumps. These are files that are intended for developers to troubleshoot and diagnose faults in their software. They are generated as software crashes. If you're not a developer, or aren't testing software for a developer, then these files serve no purpose for you.

You can disable creation of core files with following command,

sudo launchctl limit core 0 unlimited

You can delete all existing core files using command below,

sudo rm -f /cores/core.*

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2017 3:11 AM in response to cindydo.1026

The /cores folder is where OS X stores Core Dumps. These are files that are intended for developers to troubleshoot and diagnose faults in their software. They are generated as software crashes. If you're not a developer, or aren't testing software for a developer, then these files serve no purpose for you.

You can disable creation of core files with following command,

sudo launchctl limit core 0 unlimited

You can delete all existing core files using command below,

sudo rm -f /cores/core.*

Is it safe to delete core dump files from Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.