Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7plus hiss through aux adapter - music apps

I am getting a loud hiss through the aux adapter when I play music. It doesn't start when i plug in the cable (in my car), only once I launch the app, either iTunes or Spotify. Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks!

Posted on Feb 4, 2017 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2017 1:33 PM

Can you specify if this happens with the power adapter (charger) plugged in as well and goes away if the power adapter (charger) is unplugged?

If you verify that the hiss goes away when the charger is unplugged, then you're experiencing one of the most common problems in car audio systems of a ground noise loop.

The quickest and easiest way to isloate the ground noise loop is to plug into the aux power an small inverter and then use the original iPhone charger to charge your iPhone (instead of a car power aux to usb adapter).

Something like this: https://www.amazon.ca/BESTEK-Inverter-Charger-Charging-Shared/dp/B003Q54V88/ref= sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486243514&sr=8-1&keywords=75w+inverter

If the inverter has a built-in USB plug, don't use it, plug in the apple iphone charger and this should eliminate the ground loop noise

User uploaded file

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2017 1:33 PM in response to DRfromgilbert

Can you specify if this happens with the power adapter (charger) plugged in as well and goes away if the power adapter (charger) is unplugged?

If you verify that the hiss goes away when the charger is unplugged, then you're experiencing one of the most common problems in car audio systems of a ground noise loop.

The quickest and easiest way to isloate the ground noise loop is to plug into the aux power an small inverter and then use the original iPhone charger to charge your iPhone (instead of a car power aux to usb adapter).

Something like this: https://www.amazon.ca/BESTEK-Inverter-Charger-Charging-Shared/dp/B003Q54V88/ref= sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486243514&sr=8-1&keywords=75w+inverter

If the inverter has a built-in USB plug, don't use it, plug in the apple iphone charger and this should eliminate the ground loop noise

User uploaded file

Feb 7, 2017 7:05 PM in response to DRfromgilbert

I would try then a higher quality DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) than the little dongle Apple provides.

You can get on Amazon iSimple Dashboard Mounting Kit for Apple iPhone Device with Lighting Cable for example, or search online for a higher quality product. Apple's goal here was to make a descent DAC but as small as possible, perhaps a larger module specifically designed for audio out (instead of headphone out) would work better in the car's environment.

If that doesn't help you can always return it for a refund.

Another option is to get a Bluetooth car audio adapter, plenty of those around.

Otherwise

Take your iPhone and headphone adapter to an Apple store or other Apple authorised service location to have this issue diagnosed.

Or contact Apple support: https://support.apple.com/HT201232

Feb 7, 2017 10:30 AM in response to Saifan Pilot

Let me clarify. This is not while I'm charging the phone. It is when I have a normal aux cord plugged into my car stereo through the lightning to aux adapter that is provided with the iPhone 7plus. The "hiss" doesn't start when I plug the adapter in, only once I open the spotify or itunes app. Then it's almost like its engaging the lightening adapter to play music. Does this make sense?

Feb 7, 2017 12:46 PM in response to Saifan Pilot

I just checked it again in my car. When I first plug the phone in there is no hiss. I verified this with 2 diff aux cables and lightning adapters just to make sure. then when I initiate Spotify it's fine, if I pause the song, then the static comes in and stays, even if I close the Spotify app completely. If I unplug the cable and then plug it back in it starts quiet again. Seems like something is initiating the phone to send a music signal to the lightning port, and then it doesn't shut off. Odd....

iPhone 7plus hiss through aux adapter - music apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.