Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Overheating MacBook Pro 2016 w/ Touchbar

Hi Everyone and thanks in advance for your feedback.

Has anyone experienced significant overheating issues with the new MacBook Pro (late 2016 model with Touch Bar)?

I purchased my MacBook Pro in Dec-16 and since using, I've noticed my MacBook Pro has been getting incredibly hot on the back (area behind the Touch Bar) and it has been performing/functioning poorly/slowly.

I'm not doing anything intensive (i.e., only Google Chrome/Safari; and Microsoft Office - Word/PowerPoint/Excel) so this is a bit disconcerting.

Over the past few weeks, it has been getting incrementally hotter (by touch/feel). I brought it into the Apple Store for a Genius Bar Appointment, and the resolution was to turn off the FileVault feature so I can no longer use this feature.

Even in cooler conditions (e.g., when I was in the UK in Dec/Jan) my MacBook was still running hot. The back of the laptop has the heat ranging between a 1/2-boiled to 3/4-boiled kettle. Not yet scalding, but very hot.

I've found it has helped to put my MacBook inside the fridge to cool it down every couple of hours and it functions significantly better immediately after.

I was wondering whether anyone else has experienced issues like this with their MacBook Pro.

I'm hoping it won't explode or catch fire when I walk out of my office/away from my desk for a coffee break or to stretch my legs (although I guess that would be better than having it smoke/burst into flames whilst I'm using it). Would appreciate if anyone has experienced similar issues. To date, Apple don't have any solution (apart from turning off File Vault) so maybe we could share some data/experiences here to help them find a solution.

I was in the Apple Store for about 2hrs in January when they tried to diagnose and fix it, however I think the Apple R&D/Help Team don't know how to resolve yet. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this as it's a good laptop and I find the Touch Bar function helpful/convenient.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3), macOS Sierra (10.12.3), 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB 2133 MHz

Posted on Feb 5, 2017 3:20 AM

25 replies

Feb 5, 2017 2:40 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Is there any temperature/fan speed applications you recommend?

I've downloaded/running Etrecheck.

Apple have now confirmed it's a significant safety issue. I've got an appointment at the Genius Bar this afternoon which has been a 3-day wait, and even when I tried advising them of the issue, I've been told that they couldn't see me until this afternoon. Will see how it all pans out.

I never thought putting my MacBook in the fridge to cool it down so I can use it would be labelled as a solution LOL

Jun 26, 2017 6:06 PM in response to jchanhpp

Hey there

Did you ever get this resolved

I bought mine in June 2017, in Mexico City. It is 10 days old and it is overheating as well. I am searching online for ans

I had a macbook air 13" 2013 model for 4 years. It never heated like this, unless I was really pushing it hard with skype or editing software. My migrated all the same content from the Air to the Pro and yet the pro is heating up already, and yet the pro has better specs.

Any advise helpful.

Jul 26, 2017 2:37 AM in response to jchanhpp

I have the problem, dangerously so.

My late 2016 Macbook Pro with touchbar has been acting up more and more for the last few weeks, however, whenever I run Etrecheck it never shows anything wrong.

This afternoon the battery died while I was using my MB Pro, so I plugged it in to recharge it and went about my business. Three hours later, it had not charged and it would not bootup while plugged in. The dead battery icon would come up on the screen, the screen would go black, the dead battery icon would show again, the screen would go black, over and over again, but that was it. I took it to a second charger to see if the problem was the first charger and it started right up. I left it plugged in to recharge but did not use It.

Several hours later, about 2:00 AM, my spouse woke up and he could hear my MB Pro making noise. Normally we don't hear either of our SS MB Pros while they are on and being used, let alone when they are just sitting there not being used. I especially never hear them because I am hard of hearing and they are quiet. He looked at mine because it was obviously doing something on its own and it felt really warm. He waited an hour and then I woke up too, so he told me my laptop was carrying on and warm as it sat there unused. I could hear it and it wasn't just warm anymore. It was hot! It was hot not just on the bottom like my old non-SS MB Pro used to get, but it was hot all over, including the keyboard and trackpad!

Something is seriously wrong with my $4000.00 laptop I've had for only a few months. And solutions like not using applications the device comes with do not cut it considering the prices we pay for Apple products.

Jul 29, 2017 7:02 AM in response to barbs11

My wife's late 2016 15" started acting strangely yesterday, she opened Word (MS office for Mac 11) and got an MS update notice, she, without thinking about it, closed the notice and very shortly afterwards the laptop shut down. When she went to restart she got a notice saying a critical update had to be installed before the computer could be restarted. At this point she noticed the Thunderbolt to USB adapter with a pass through charging port was too hat to touch and the left rear corner of the case was also extremely hot. Her emojis on the touch bar have been intermittently coming and going, mostly going and the computer was getting slow. Wanted the WiFi password, then said it was unable to download the update and had two options "retry" and "cancel". after a long online chat with Apple involving booting in safe mode, finally a full reinstall of the OS all with the same result, except after the OS reinstall, now it will not boot in safe mode. During this time I was not using the Thunderbolt adapter on the left side and had the power coming in on the right side Thunderbolt port. The left rear corner was still very hot to the touch while all this was going on.

I have an appointment at the Norfolk VA Apple store at 1:05 PM EDT to see what is going on, she has only had this one about 2 weeks.

Jul 30, 2017 6:03 PM in response to 85lebaront2

Update on the MacBookPro, took it to Apple yesterday, after showing the tech what had already been tried, he connected his adapter and did some diagnostic tests. When I first turned it on, the left side of the case immediately got quite warm, then cooled down a bit. While he was running the tests, the only consistent diagnosis was "battery". They would not change the battery there, I imagine because it is still under warranty. He did try loading IOS on it to see if any of the touch bar would function. Nothing. It is on it's way to an Apple service center and will be returned via FedEx as it is a 1 1/2 hr. drive each way plus an $18 round trip toll. The actual length of time she had it was 11 days, she is now back on her old one.

Aug 2, 2017 4:15 PM in response to 85lebaront2

Further update. received it back from Apple repair today. Parts replaced: 605-02010 Logic Board 2.7GHZ Quad core Intel Core I7 process and 631-01782 Vent/Antenna Module. Everything seems to work fine now, her other gripe is the emoji bar only works on Safari. Sounds like Apple is pulling a Micro$oft trick, "either use our browser or don't get full features".

Aug 4, 2017 11:42 AM in response to sylviaksj

That's interesting.

I've had my machine almost five months now. It had problems from the get-go but nothing like what's been happening in the last two weeks, and now, sometimes my battery will charge and sometimes it won't.

It's so discouraging. I bite the bullet and pay the high prices for quality because I hate having to **** around with searching for solutions, going in to the Apple store (which usually requires multiple trips before someone makes a concerted effort to solve a problem), and waiting for repairs on brand new devices, yet increasingly, I am forced to do it anyway.

Aug 10, 2017 1:11 AM in response to jchanhpp

Hi everyone,

In my case, I was really concern about the overheating of my Macbook, I work with Windows 10 over bootcamp.

I almost could not put my wrist on the laptop and the fan was on for a long time. I went to a genius bar on apple store and they asked me if I had checked all background processes. This is what I did, and I found Microsoft One drive using more than 40% of the CPU, that was the reason of overheating....

Now, problem is solved.

Salvador

Sep 5, 2017 4:24 AM in response to jchanhpp

I have recently noticed this problem with my MB Pro 2016 after I switched from chrome to safari (could not remove the annoying pop-ups in chrome so had to remove the whole thing). It overheats really easily and it wouldn't stop making noise. But then I just downloaded chrome again and it's back to normal! Not sure what fixed it, but it fixed my problem. Hope it helps.

Sep 7, 2017 7:07 PM in response to Mitchlok929

I had this same problem it's been a week and from my experience it was a MacBook Pro 2016 13' cAnt believe this newer model will have this problem and I'm feeling will

Not stop even though I had to loose all my data and work saved up and had the only option to star from the scratch so far the laptop was acting up getting over heat and mouse pointer was getting stuck while I was moving it every 2 seconds. So I did try to reload the OS X and that was the easiest and fastest and this my experience hope this will help but it's some to be some type of motherboard problem or GPU I hope I don't get to have this situation again. $2600 laptop and than find that it's not worth even half of what I had paid. Cheers

Oct 4, 2017 10:19 PM in response to jchanhpp

I'm having overheating issues as well. I've been having them since day one. The computer heats up so badly that the TouchBar is uncomfortable to touch and its a terrible feeling when you can feel the heat radiating from the keyboard. I have a 2011 MacBook Pro and overheating is never like this.

I'm not even pushing the limits of my MBP yet. My warranty's going to expire soon and I'm worried about returning my MBP as I've had a terrible experience with the AppleCare in Malaysia 😟

Overheating MacBook Pro 2016 w/ Touchbar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.