Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Routers that have bonjour support?

I am in the process of replacing my Airport Extremem router for a more modern/faster router. I purchased a TEdna router which works great, but it doesn't seem to support bonjour (I need for home sharing airplay, and more). Anyone know of routers that do? I'm considering a symbology, which if I am reading correctly will support bonjour. Any help is appreciated.

Posted on Feb 5, 2017 9:09 AM

9 replies

Feb 5, 2017 9:23 AM in response to donny

Basically, what I mean, is that Bonjour operates only on your local network. It will pass through the switch portion of your router between two clients connected to that router.

Feb 5, 2017 9:17 AM in response to donny

Bonjour is not routable by itself. It is a OSI Layer 2 protocol. Routing Bonjour would require a router which offers a Bonjour Gateway as a feature. Bonjour often generates significant amounts of multicast traffic, which can burden an enterprise LAN.

Bonjour (which is Apple's implementation of mDNS) support for routers would only be necessary if you plan on providing Bonjour traffic across routers to another subnet. Routing Bonjour is not necessary for a single subnet.

Feb 5, 2017 9:27 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks. I've been trying to troubleshoot. Problem is this router I have not make it easy to open any ports. Think I am going to send it back and try a different brand. Not worth the headaches. The symbology router looks like it is easy to configure and open ports and it seems to have specific bonjour settings.

Feb 5, 2017 11:11 AM in response to donny

You do not open ports for local LAN connections. That is not going to help Bonjour.

Some routers do have issues with certain specific Apple protocols. Netgear for example had a lot of issues at one stage. And support recommended people open ports which showed why they have so much trouble. Opening ports is useless. That is entirely for crossing the NAT.. and as Tesserax has pointed out is not relevant even then.

I have never heard of symbology router.. if you mean Synology then there are better products in the market ( Synology NAS are great.. but the router was less than tremendous although the second version might be improved).

If your first post the router is Tenda.. then yes.. they have terrible firmware and does not at all surprise me they do not support bonjour.

Feb 5, 2017 11:02 AM in response to donny

Problem is this router I have not make it easy to open any ports. Think I am going to send it back and try a different brand. Not worth the headaches. The symbology router looks like it is easy to configure and open ports and it seems to have specific bonjour settings.

Again, unless you are trying to access your local network resources that rely on Bonjour over the Internet, there is no requirement to map ports on the router.

On the other hand, if you are running a software firewall on your computer, Bonjour will need the mDNS UDP port 5353 opened.

For Home Sharing, Bonjour is used as part of Zero Configuration Networking. Specifically to allow your computer to "discover" services that are "advertising themselves on the local network.

Feb 5, 2017 4:05 PM in response to donny

Any suggestions on a router with good bonjour support?

Apple airports are good.. 😁😝😉

TP-Link are not bad.

They put some effort into making their firmware (pretty consistent across models) Apple compliant.

3rd party.

Anything that you can load 3rd party firmware into .. tend to be fine.. even the Tenda. This is a firmware not hardware issue. I have tested a fairly powerful Tenda router, W1800R, which was pathetic on its own brand firmware but greatly improved running Tomato (Shibby version).

Asus are not bad.

If you pick the better models they are certainly up with Apple needs.

Routers that have bonjour support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.