Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Junk Mail False Positives (even senders marked as VIP)

I get Youtube upload notifications to email. Recently they have been getting marked as junk about 75%+ of the time. I tried using rules to move them back to the inbox, and I tried using the advanced junk actions to ignore @youtube.com. I've even marked the sender as VIP, but they are mostly still ending up in the junk folder. Any ideas on what I can do to stop them getting incorrectly identified as junk??

Thanks!

Posted on Feb 5, 2017 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2017 1:01 PM

Edit: I missed your part about trusting junk mail headers. That was selected, so I'll try deselecting that before I add the contact to my address book. Thanks for the tip.

If they are marked brown, then that isn't it. If they are brown, Mail is marking them.

7 replies

Feb 5, 2017 10:41 AM in response to Sean C. Carter

I posted the following on a previous discussion regarding junk mail issues, it might help - basically I've found that sometimes Mail doesn't remember how you have marked junk email when it quits!

If you have followed all the standard advice ( Mail for Mac: If junk mail filters aren’t working correctly ) that includes resetting the junk filter so it starts learning again then try and watch what happens when you close the mail app.

I've noticed that sometimes the app closes immediately and on others there is a slight pause - I have mail set up to auto remove deleted items when closed, but it doesn't do it if it closes immediately, they only seem to get removed when I observe the pause!

Not sure what's happening but I've now started to reconfirmed junk items if I see mail close immediately by reopening and selecting not junk/junk again and then reclose, which does appear to be improving the success of my junk filter for the moment anyhow.

Feb 5, 2017 12:33 PM in response to Sean C. Carter

Are the emails marked in the light brown "Junk" color? If not, the junk mail filter is not putting them there.

If it is an IMAP account, the email provider may be moving them into the Spam folder on the server.

If you have Trust Junk Mail headers, then any email server the message passes through may be marking it as spam.

The only messages Mail had identified and can learn from are the ones that are marked in light brown.

Feb 5, 2017 12:58 PM in response to Barney-15E

Yes, they are all marked brown. Both my accounts are IMAP, one iCloud and one Gmail. I just did a reset of the junk mail filtering this morning, but it's already caught another VIP-marked Youtube notification email as junk. Very frustrating. I am going to try adding the address noreply@youtube.com to my contacts and see if that fixes it. I was hoping to avoid cluttering my contacts but maybe it's the only way Mail will listen to me!

Edit: I missed your part about trusting junk mail headers. That was selected, so I'll try deselecting that before I add the contact to my address book. Thanks for the tip.

Feb 6, 2017 12:06 AM in response to Sean C. Carter

Forgot to add I use a POP account so I believe Mail junk filtering is not influenced by the email provider - although it's something I have not confirmed by talking to them. I still get a few junk going to Inbox but this appears to be due to the fact slight changes are made by the sender (may be to get around junk filtering) so requires my input again, but don't appear to see the reverse (i.e. non junk going to junk) - suppose they are easier to handle because they are more consistent with respect to content/headers or with what ever junk uses to do it's job!

Junk Mail False Positives (even senders marked as VIP)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.