Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I get a read receipt from Android contacts when both of us have them turned off?

I have an iphone 6 plus, Rogers carrier, updated to 10.2.1

Ever since I got this phone (almost 2 years ago), when I send a text or image to my friend who has an android phone (various other carriers), I get a text saying that they have read my message.

I have all of these functions off and so do my contacts.

I contacted Rogers and the tech support was very patient and we tried several obvious things. The only way we could get this to stop was to turn off imessage. When imessage is off....I can text those contacts regular texts and pictures and I get no read receipts. We tried deregistering and reregistering with imessage and I still get read receipts.

I see that in iOS 10, we can turn read receipts on or off for individual conversations. BUT for my android contacts this option is not available when I edit the contact.

This is obviously and apple issue and not a carrier issue. What else can I try? AND can Apple please abort this ridiculous read receipts?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Feb 5, 2017 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2017 11:49 AM

Sorry, but read receipts are sent from the device where the message is received. The sending device has no control over whether or not it will know if a message has been read or not. It sends the message, and can tell you it has been delivered, but after that, it is disengaged from that message and has no information about what is or is not happening to it after that point.

Your friend needs to look into this from their end. They must either have a send read receipt option turned on somewhere, or they must be using an app like WhatsApp for their messages.

There is absolutely no way your iPhone can possible have any information about activities that take place on a device you have sent a message to once the message has been delivered.

Best of luck,

GB

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2017 11:49 AM in response to sookface

Sorry, but read receipts are sent from the device where the message is received. The sending device has no control over whether or not it will know if a message has been read or not. It sends the message, and can tell you it has been delivered, but after that, it is disengaged from that message and has no information about what is or is not happening to it after that point.

Your friend needs to look into this from their end. They must either have a send read receipt option turned on somewhere, or they must be using an app like WhatsApp for their messages.

There is absolutely no way your iPhone can possible have any information about activities that take place on a device you have sent a message to once the message has been delivered.

Best of luck,

GB

Feb 5, 2017 6:20 PM in response to sookface

Tech support got back to me again as I wondered if it had to do with old software on Samsung phones. Here's the answer. It's iOS

Hi Sarah,

This cannot be a Samsung thing cause my Android we were testing with is and LG. I also do not have an Advanced Messaging feature on my phone.
I have done some more research and testing since we chatted earlier. Every other Apple device I tested was also receiving a read receipt when they sent me a picture message and iMessage was ON, but not when it was off. An iPhone can only receive these read receipts when iMessage is on.
In and Android device there is the option to Request a Delivery report and to also Allow Delivery reports to be sent when requested. Androids are set by default to Allow Delivery Reports when requested, this can be turned off though on individual devices. The iPhone menu does not have the same options, you can only toggle on and off the Read receipts if YOU want to send a receipt for a message that you received and read, you cannot turn off the option to NOT receive delivery reports. iMessage is set by default to request delivery reports if one is available. Since Androids are set by default to send a report when requested, you are receiving delivery reports for picture messages sent to Androids (this may not be the case on older Androids with older operating systems but the newer ones like mine are set like this). It would be great if the Apple operating system had the option to NOT receive read receipts when sending a picture message but it seems this is how it was conceiv!
ed (this may have also been different a few years ago on an older Apple iOS)
Conclusion:
This is how the operating system on your phone was meant to behave. Its supposed to send you a read receipt when sending a picture message and iMessage is turned on. The solution seems to be to simply turn off the iMessaging but this will turn off the benefits of iMessaging between iPhone users.
I hope this helps get a better understanding of the situation. Let me know if you have any questions

Feb 5, 2017 8:32 PM in response to sookface

Again, there is no way for an iPhone or any other phone for that matter to dive inside someone elses phone to monitor whether or not the person has read a message that has been sent to them. I can't tell you what is causing the issue, but a Read receipt is not a fetched piece of info, it is a pushed one, and the only device that can push something like that would be the device where the reading is being done.

Think about it. You send a message to someone, and they do not even look at that message for 2 months. Do you think that the Messages program on an iPhone is going to, what, keep pinging the other phone, or just hang around in that other phone's software somewhere so that it could alert you when the person actually read the message. It is not possible. There is some other explanation, but it is not the iOS.

Cheers,

GB

Feb 5, 2017 8:41 PM in response to gail from maine

I agree, there is no way the sending phone can create a message when the other device has read the message. It can request one, but only if asked to request one, and at the same time, the other device would have to be allowed to respond to the request. In this case both phones would have to have it turned on. There really isn't a way that you can turn it off on your phone, it's going to have to be turned on the other phone to send a receipt that it has been read.

Feb 5, 2017 8:43 PM in response to sookface

sookface wrote:

Tech support got back to me again as I wondered if it had to do with old software on Samsung phones. Here's the answer. It's iOS

The problem isn't iOS, it's probably Rogers. It's pretty clear that the person you dealt with at Rogers is, in addition to not being able to write English properly, not at all knowledgeable about iPhones and doesn't seem to understand messaging. iMessage is irrelevant where Android phones are concerned. Additionally, delivery reports are not the same thing as Read reports. So, pretty much everything the Rogers rep said is also not addressing the issue. I have used both Androids and iPhones for years and have messaged people with both. I've never seen this happen. As I'm only in Canada for a few weeks a year, I don't tend to have much cause to deal with Rogers.

Feb 5, 2017 9:01 PM in response to ZintainUSA

Actually, there is no software currently where the "sending" phone can even "request" a read receipt. A read receipt is at the discretion of the recipient, not the opposite. Unless someone is using an App like WhatsApp where the give and take is interactive, a normal messaging program is simply not going to know when a message is read, nor is it able to ask for a read receipt.

Cheers,

GB

Feb 5, 2017 9:06 PM in response to sookface

Also, a read receipt is not the same as a delivery acknowledgement, which Messages will provide. That is because when a message is sent, and successfully delivered, the messaging packet gets an "acknowledgement" from the receiving machine to indicate that the packet was successfully processed (i.e., delivered).

Your Rogers person does not appear to understand the difference between the two. You always get Delivery acknowledgements. Read Receipts can only be sent by you, not requested by you.

Cheers,

GB

Feb 6, 2017 10:56 AM in response to sookface

Because when iMessage is turned off, you are using your messaging service as a straight text service, which is what an Android uses. Androids are incapable of receiving Read messages unless they do use an app like Whatsapp. They cannot receive them otherwise. So, by turning off iMessage, and essentially making your device act like an Android, it acts like an Android. No Read messages can be received.

Cheers,

GB

Feb 6, 2017 7:30 PM in response to sookface

Is that a message from the other person's Android phone or your iPhone? Is your iPhone jailbroken?

In the US delivery and read receipt when using SMS (which is what is happening when you text an Android user) are not available at all. Is this also only happening when you send an MMS message? If yes that sounds more like a problem with the the Rogers network and the provisioning on either your phone or theirs.

Feb 6, 2017 7:42 PM in response to sookface

You have said friend and friends. Are you saying that every person you text who does not have an iPhone is getting the read request? And it is only happening when you send an MMS, not if you send a plain SMS?

I've not seen any other thread with this problem and I am not in Canada so I can't test your issue.

Feb 6, 2017 11:46 PM in response to sookface

OK, so not sure what your point is? If what you are depicting is showing that the Android has the option of sending a Read "Report" when it receives an MMS message, then what does that have to do with an iPhone or with Messages?

I think we have explained how this works. Whatever is occurring is either from the Android or the Carrier side of things. An iPhone and Messages has no more capability to reach out and suck information from the cybersphere than any other device. If you are getting Read "Receipts, Reports, Whatevers", from messages you are sending, then they are being sent to you. If you are not getting them when iMessages is turned off, then it is a function of the SMS or MMS messaging logic, and that is simply a pass-through on an iPhone.

Cheers,

GB

Why do I get a read receipt from Android contacts when both of us have them turned off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.