Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I connect two 23" HD Cinema Displays (model A1082, circa 2008, DVI) with a new Mac mini?

Can I use my two older generation Apple 23" HD Cinema displays (Model A1082, circa 2008, DVI) with a new Mac Mini? And if so, would I also be able to simultaneously have my Thunderbolt-based UAD Apollo Twin audio interface plugged in, as well? My understanding is that there are 2 Thunderbolt ports on the new Mac Mini. I am nearly certain that the audio interface needs a dedicated Thunderbolt port on its own.

The issue, therefore, is that due to my music recording setup, I will only have one Thunderbolt port to work with.

So can I dedicate one port for the audio interface and then plug in both of monitors by daisy chaining the 2 displays off the one Thunderbolt connector? I ask because some internet research has raised issues about daisy chaining 2 DVI monitors using this method.

Alternatively, is there a Thunderbolt adapter that can drive two DVI displays?

Additionally, my goal in all of this is to get an "extended desktop," not just mirroring.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Posted on Feb 5, 2017 1:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2017 3:49 PM

Apple use two different part numbers for your screens and A1082 is not the one most often used. I believe your screen would be as per the following Apple document. See Apple Cinema Display (20-, 23-, and 30-inch DVI) - Technical Specifications

As such you have two options for how to connect your two screens.

Option 1

Note: You cannot daisy-chain the two Apple Mini Displayport adapters and it appears your Apollo Twin Audio adapter - http://www.uaudio.com/audio-interfaces/apollo-twin-mkii.html only has a single Thunderbolt socket meaning it cannot be daisy-chained either, this would mean you could not connect it and the two screens at the same time using the above approach.

Option 2

Note: The HDMI port on the Mac mini supports a maximum resolution os 1920x1200 which is exactly the resolution of your Apple Cinema 23" displays.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2017 3:49 PM in response to ae9eayi4qe

Apple use two different part numbers for your screens and A1082 is not the one most often used. I believe your screen would be as per the following Apple document. See Apple Cinema Display (20-, 23-, and 30-inch DVI) - Technical Specifications

As such you have two options for how to connect your two screens.

Option 1

Note: You cannot daisy-chain the two Apple Mini Displayport adapters and it appears your Apollo Twin Audio adapter - http://www.uaudio.com/audio-interfaces/apollo-twin-mkii.html only has a single Thunderbolt socket meaning it cannot be daisy-chained either, this would mean you could not connect it and the two screens at the same time using the above approach.

Option 2

Note: The HDMI port on the Mac mini supports a maximum resolution os 1920x1200 which is exactly the resolution of your Apple Cinema 23" displays.

Feb 11, 2017 8:04 AM in response to ae9eayi4qe

If it doesn't work there's this...

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/VIDU3DVIA/

Video Interface Support

• DVI
  • HDMI (via included adapter)
  • VGA (via included adapter)

Display Mode Support

• Extended Desktop (default)
  • Mirrored Desktop
  • Primary Display

Resolution and Color4,5

• Resolution Support

640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x720, 1280x768, 1280x800, 1280x1024, 1366x768, 1400x1050, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200, 2048x1152

• Color Depth6

Support for both 16-bit and 32-bit color quality

Power

Bus-powered

Can I connect two 23" HD Cinema Displays (model A1082, circa 2008, DVI) with a new Mac mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.