Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud and Office 365 Windows

Hi all,

is there any chance or workaround to get iCloud running on a Windows 10 maschine with Office 365 (Outlook) ??

I recently got a new laptop, and got the Office Package from my employer and its running perfectly. I could add all my e-mail accounts and everything else.

But when it comes to install and run iCloud, it won't work. I've spend the whole Weekend and figured out that Office 365 simply won't work without workarounds. But even the workaround won't work on my machine.
However, I have tried many things like using an older version of iCloud, avoid setting up Exchange e-mail adresses. Avoid getting any .ost files. I instead used a single PST file without any e-mail account added.

I tried safe-mode. Didn't work either.

Created new outlook profiles. Didn't work.

Uninstall and install everything from scratch didn't work.

I do know that iCloud do not support Office 365 as far as I could see from the website.

I can live perfectly without iCloud using other services/software offered by Alphabet. But I really wished I could avoid this.

So my question is, is there any chance to get this running? OR is there any plans Apple or MS can get us run this on a Windows machine?

Many thanks

iTunes-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Feb 6, 2017 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2017 9:26 AM

Hi Phil,

Sorry. I wasn't clear enough. I can't get the iCloud control panel for windows get working. The integration into outlook doesn't work. It did work with my old computer but with the new one, it doesn't.

Once installed, the iCloud control panel starts and asks for login details (Apple ID & password). Then the progress wheel spins for hours without any progress. I figured out it has something to do with the outlook integration.

Now I am not using the iCloud PC software for windows. I would love to use it :(

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2017 9:26 AM in response to Phil0124

Hi Phil,

Sorry. I wasn't clear enough. I can't get the iCloud control panel for windows get working. The integration into outlook doesn't work. It did work with my old computer but with the new one, it doesn't.

Once installed, the iCloud control panel starts and asks for login details (Apple ID & password). Then the progress wheel spins for hours without any progress. I figured out it has something to do with the outlook integration.

Now I am not using the iCloud PC software for windows. I would love to use it :(

Aug 15, 2017 4:02 PM in response to AreRickus

If you are just trying to get your iCloud Email through Outlook, then yes iCloud for Windows is completely unnecessary.

Do note however that due to recent security concerns, Apple has increased the security requirements for access of iCloud accounts by 3rd party applications.

You'll need to setup Outlook to get iCloud e-mail by following the settings from here.

Mail server settings for iCloud email clients - Apple Support

You also need to turn on Two-Factor Authentication or 2 Step Verification on your iCloud account and generate an App specific password for Outlook to use to access your iCloud email.

1. Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

2. Using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

Feb 6, 2017 8:12 AM in response to metman82

I'm confused. What exactly does not work between iCloud and Office 365?

iCloud is Apple's cloud sync and storage service.

Office 365 is Microsoft's subscription based Office suite that offers Word,, Excel, Powerpoint applications.

They are really not related. So I'm not sure exactly what is not working. What is it you need workarounds for?

Its not clear what it is you think iCloud needs to support about Office 365

You really need to explain exactly what it is you want to do with them, and what is not working exactly and in as much detail as possible.

Feb 6, 2017 10:10 AM in response to metman82

I use iCloud on Windows 10 and it works just fine. I don't however use Office 365 or its integration with iCloud, but i'm not sure why it would prevent iCloud from actually logging in.

I have found a couple sites talking about issues with Office and iCloud integration, but its only when trying to add Office once you have successfully logged in to the iCloud service. Not while trying to log into the iCloud service.

If you have not done so after installing iCloud, reboot your computer, and try to log in to iCloud through the iCloud control panel again. Make sure you are connected to the internet.

https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/icloud-and-outlook-problems/

Feb 25, 2017 9:09 AM in response to Phil0124

What makes them related is iCloud app for Windows Outlook. There is a little program that among other things creates an 'ADD IN' in for Outlook so that the contacts, calendar and task, notes can be shared and Outlook can use those service just as the internal stuff in Outlook. This is Outlook 2016 as created by Office 365 that we are having so much trouble setting up. Add-IN name will be iCloud App when seen finally as an add-in to Outlook. Options, Add Ins,Com App.

I hope this makes sense about what the relationship is that we are trying to create between iCloud and MS Outlook.

Feb 25, 2017 9:20 AM in response to Phil0124

This is hard to figure out for Outlook 2016 (365) and iCloud 5.1. The sampling on this webpage is dated. I don't see updating of the instructional part since office 2010. I used to try using this a long time ago. I have used Outlook since before 2000 version and had my iCloud for Outlook App working for the better part of 5 years. This is the worse time I have had trying to connect them so that can sync, and I can access the Apple side for my Contacts, Calendar, etc.

Feb 25, 2017 10:29 AM in response to Phil0124

Got it! I wil try to tell you what I did.

I closed outlook (after removing any iCloud folders or data files). A iCloud data file I create was empty and could not be opened, per an earlier error message.

Next, I uninstalled iCloud for Windows in Programs and Features, then 'CHANGE' will open the iCloud for Windows' uninstaller or repair. Uninstall. Repairs hasn't worked for me after 5 to 7 tries.

Be careful answering any questions and warning about lost of files. Do a backup if you want to be safe. That's of your iCloud files and connected Photos.

Next, restart the system.

Once the desktop is back;

The installer may show up asking to install iCloud. I did mine from a fresh new download from the Apple Support page for iCloud for Windows.

Allow this thing to work on its own. There are slow points when you may think nothing it going to happen.

There are several steps that will need you to affirm and then when the iCloud Control Panel (that is what this thing is called in some places) opens. Leave it alone as it will do the transaction to apply the 'Mail, Contact, Calendar, etc"' link you will see at the top of the iCloud Control panel.

I am tired but either before or after this the iCloud app will go get your data from the iCloud account, and you will see it by through 7 syeps of syncing - downloading and uploading each of these data areas.

You may get the message at this point that iCloud for Outlook is installed and ready.

Do this before you close the iCloud Contral panel:

Mark as you want the Photo Options buttons and select how you want your photos stored, uploaded, etc. You may need to point to a shared folder and or Photo Library or My Photos folder. If you have had iCloud Photo set up or iCloud for Windows running before, the options may be as you last had these area set.

Now, waiting a few seconds or so, then hit apply. You should have the Outlook showing all the components. The hit APPLY and once that settles, closed to control panel.

Now, open your Outlook and see if your have an 'iCloud' folder in your pane. See that when you open the Contacts or Calendar you see the iCloud listed along with any offline calendars, etc.

I rename my iCloud 'Contacts' Primary in the desktop here and my phone and iPad. Same with my calendar.

anyway,

if this does not work it is because one little step was missed or you have a corrupted iCloud and need a clean download.

Note: you cannot add an iCloud data file directly into Outlook. iCloud for Windows must do this for you. At some point I got that warning and I think it is mentioned on the help page you posted a link to.

I hope this helps. It has taken me over 8 hours to get this working. I am a little punch drink now.

OH, in the OPTION, go to Add ins and see that iCloud App is there and active. Success!

Feb 25, 2017 11:00 AM in response to BWWiggs

Hi

honestly, I switched completely to Microsoft and google services. Using an iPhone and having a windows OS won't work for me any more. I do not want to spend hours and hours setting things up. It's 2017 and I'm simply sick of this. MS and Google worked instantly even with my iPhone 7 Plus. Contacts and calendar working perfectly.

Pictures do work as well using other services/software.

I will of course try your solution. But not now. Maybe some weeks later :(

Feb 25, 2017 11:59 AM in response to Phil0124

I've tired to install iCloud for Windows 6.0 on my Windows 10 laptop. But it fails with a ""There is a problem with this windows installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

Digging more into the log files I found that the msiexec fails with a:

Executing: "C:\Windows\system32\msiexec.exe" /i "C:\Users\t_kro\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP836.TMP\iCloud64.msi" INSTALL_SUPPORT_PACKAGES=1

Returning: 1603

I've tried everything, as administrator and as a normal user with and without administrator privilliges, with always same problem.

Any ideas?

Aug 15, 2017 2:17 PM in response to metman82

I'm unsure why this iCloud for Windows even exists to be honest.

I have office 365, and outlook is the program I am attempting to simply collect my iCloud email through

It collects my other 5 email accounts without a tertiary program, why not iCloud

Enter the settings manually I hear you cry, well I tried

Microsoft and Apple both seem to be very stubbornly not following standards with either of these facilities, iCloud email and outlook.

iCloud is proving so by supplying a program which doesn't work, Microsoft by supplying automated procedures which guesses (intentionally?) badly and returning unknown faults, helpful Microsoft

Guys sort you're lives and programs out before we all just use Gmail

Jesus Christ will these people not learn????

Please don't reply saying I have something wrong as yours works, I haven't and bully for you

Aug 16, 2017 10:49 AM in response to AreRickus

AreRickus wrote:

Outlook just comes back with the unknown error stated in the last post I made. If you attempt to enter the details it never accepts the credential

Are you entering your Apple ID and password, or your Apple ID and the generated App Specific password?

Not sure what to suggest, and since you said we should not tell you it works, even though it does , not sure what else one can say.

iCloud and Office 365 Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.