Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

remove wifi networks from list of available

Is it possible to remove (i.e. filter out) neighbouring wi-fi networks from the list of available networks when I drop down the wi-fi list from the menu bar in macos sierra? My new neighbours have a lot of networks and it clutters the list.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Posted on Feb 6, 2017 11:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2018 1:31 AM

John Galt, you will be allowed to actually provide help when you raise your eyes from your keyboard and tech geek world to realize things like, oh say, maybe people don't want wifi options in their list to prevent, say, maybe a family with kids who like to click on things, clicking on things.
<Edited by Host>

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2018 1:31 AM in response to dougtas

John Galt, you will be allowed to actually provide help when you raise your eyes from your keyboard and tech geek world to realize things like, oh say, maybe people don't want wifi options in their list to prevent, say, maybe a family with kids who like to click on things, clicking on things.
<Edited by Host>

Feb 6, 2017 1:03 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks John, This is what I expected; I can't filter out the networks I'm constantly not interested in. To me it is a weakness on the Macos, because the os is supposed to be helping me, but by always showing me networks that I don't want to (and can't) connect to, it isn't helping. It must be a nightmare for people who live in appartments in big cities. Cheers Doug

Nov 30, 2017 12:16 AM in response to dougtas

The surrounding neighbour network will always be shown when you hold option key and click on wi fi icon on the top menu bar with your network name having a right check mark on it .

In your screen shot almost every network name has a lock in front of them , it means they are password protected , and have set WPA2 personal AES settings and created a strong network settings , the ones that are not having locks are open network names and are not secured .

If you have also protected your network no one can join your network ( means location as automatic , created a wireless network password , correct DNS settings , no proxies are to be set ) , join the network automatically is checked .See this article Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

You can hide the network name only to the neighbours if you are using airport express .See this article AirPort Utility: Hide your Wi-Fi network’s name

User uploaded file

But surrounding networks will always be shown as the they will catch , also you don't know are they using Mac , window computer and what are their network settings to hide only the network name .

Feb 6, 2017 1:15 PM in response to dougtas

If you don't want to see those networks, click the Wi-Fi icon, select Open Network Preferences... and de-select "Show Wi-Fi status in menu bar".

Otherwise just don't click the Wi-Fi icon. The Mac assumes you are doing that for a reason. What other reason would there be, other than to select a wireless network?

Those networks would continue to exist whether you see them or not, even if their owners decided to hide their names. That implies are probably more than there appear to be.

Jul 19, 2017 4:27 AM in response to John Galt

The reason that it is helpful to show the wifi status for your home network is to know that your router is functioning and you are connected to the network. I too find this to be very annoying that I can't remove, or 'forget', these networks from being put in the WIFI list. It is fine that they are being read/scanned, but I do not need to see them as I do not have access to use them. At my home, I like to broadcast the SSID also for friends and family to use when they are here- it is convenient for us;I think for the same reason my neighbors also like to broadcast their ssid.

Ideally, when I go into the advanced WIFI settings, where I can prioritize my preferred networks; I should also be able to select the other foreign broadcast networks and 'hide' or define as 'not valid connections', or something.

Nov 29, 2017 11:58 AM in response to dougtas

I have a new router and want to use the same network name and password as before for convenience. As the name still shows on the system in the drop-down menu, but not in Network Preferred Networks. So the computer went hunting for the old network when I tried to change the name, and I had to reboot the system several times to get back even to square 1. Confused? So am I. Can I delete a name from the drop-down list? My Sonos box has gone completely on strike with all the network changes.

remove wifi networks from list of available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.