Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with AirPort Express wired connection

I purchased an AirPort Express today and am looking to extend the wireless in my house via ethernet that is already run. My current set up is a follows:

Cable modem via Comcast is the main connection

Ethernet to AirPort Time Capsule Extreme (this is the main wireless router I use in the house)

Ethernet cables from there to the AirPort Express

The AirPort Express is connected wirelessly (dashed line between Time Capsule and Express)

What settings do I need to do to have this turn to a solid line (wired connectivity from the TC to the Exp)?

The TC has the network mode in "create" and the network is "off (bridge mode)"

The Exp has the network mode in "extend" and the network is greyed out (but in 'off (bridge mode)').

I tried a few other iterations but seemed that my combinations were off. I'd like to get this one figured out for I plan to hook up an Apple TV in this manner to the TC since the ethernet has been run.

Any suggestions?

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Feb 6, 2017 7:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2017 6:14 PM

The AirPort Express may not be fully resetting for some reason. Please follow these instructions carefully.

Open AirPort Utility on your Mac

Click on the picture of the AirPort Express

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Base Station menu......up at the very top of the Mac's screen......where you see other menus like File, Edit, Help, etc

Click on Restore Default Settings

Give the Express a full minute to restart

User uploaded file

Connect a short, spare Ethernet cable.....any length will do.....that you know is working correctly......from one of the LAN <--> ports on the Time Capsule to the WAN "O" port on the Express

Run through the setup again as detailed above

Make sure that you see that the AirPort Express is being set up to "extend using Ethernet" during the setup. If you don't see this, then there is something wrong with the Ethernet cable or with the Ethernet port(s) on the Time Capsule or AirPort Express.

User uploaded file

When you see the message of Setup Complete, check again to see if there is a solid line between the Time Capsule and AirPort Express.

If there is.......then move the Express back to the location where it is needed, connect the long cable, and power up the Express. If things do not work correctly at this time, you have a problem in the long Ethernet cable......since you know that things were working with other spare Ethernet cable.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2017 6:14 PM in response to Dan and Denise__

The AirPort Express may not be fully resetting for some reason. Please follow these instructions carefully.

Open AirPort Utility on your Mac

Click on the picture of the AirPort Express

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Base Station menu......up at the very top of the Mac's screen......where you see other menus like File, Edit, Help, etc

Click on Restore Default Settings

Give the Express a full minute to restart

User uploaded file

Connect a short, spare Ethernet cable.....any length will do.....that you know is working correctly......from one of the LAN <--> ports on the Time Capsule to the WAN "O" port on the Express

Run through the setup again as detailed above

Make sure that you see that the AirPort Express is being set up to "extend using Ethernet" during the setup. If you don't see this, then there is something wrong with the Ethernet cable or with the Ethernet port(s) on the Time Capsule or AirPort Express.

User uploaded file

When you see the message of Setup Complete, check again to see if there is a solid line between the Time Capsule and AirPort Express.

If there is.......then move the Express back to the location where it is needed, connect the long cable, and power up the Express. If things do not work correctly at this time, you have a problem in the long Ethernet cable......since you know that things were working with other spare Ethernet cable.

Feb 6, 2017 7:36 PM in response to Dan and Denise__

If you will start over and reset the AirPort Express back to default settings, then connect the Ethernet cable to the Express and run Apple's setup "wizard", you might be surprised at how easy this will be.

Power up the Express for a few minutes

Hold in the reset button on the back of the Express for 7-8 seconds and release

Allow a full minute for the Express to restart

Connect the Ethernet cable from one of the LAN <--> ports on the TC to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Express

Click the WiFi menu at the top of the Mac's screen and look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Click directly on AirPort Express

User uploaded file

When you click on AirPort Express, that will start up Apple's setup "wizard". It will take a few seconds to analyze things and then display a screen that looks like the example below except that you will see your devices and network name displayed

User uploaded file

Type in a short simple name that you want to call the Airport Express

Click Next

Watch the next screen carefully to see that the AirPort Express is being set up to extend using Ethernet. This confirms that the setup "wizard" has picked up the Ethernet connection between the TC and Express and will apply the correct settings to the Express.

User uploaded file

When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done.....and you are done.

Feb 8, 2017 5:42 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Seems the ethernet ports on the TC are not functioning properly (tested hook up via the cable modem). The WAN and UBS work for I have Wi-Fi set up via the TC and the printer is connected that way. But a WD My Cloud connected doesn't work (works when connected to the main cable modem). Have tried all three ports. Any suggestions on that by chance?

Feb 8, 2017 5:53 PM in response to Dan and Denise__

About all that you can do is reset the TC back to factory default settings and then set it up again to see if that might get things working.

Frankly, this is probably not going to help, but it's worth a try.

If the TC is still within the one year warranty, Apple will replace the device for you. The TC is also likely covered if you have AppleCare in effect on one of your Macs.....and....the TC is less than three years old.

Jun 19, 2017 11:30 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I followed your instructions to set up a wired extended network with the only difference being that my base (connected to the cable modem) is an Airport Express base station and the wired extension is another Airport Express. Both are Model # 1392. All went well since your instructions were very clear. I have the extended AirPort Express in the living room to help us with streaming movies, etc. However, running a speed test gives me troubling info. Repeated speed tests near the extended Airport Express (living room) gives a download speed of about 10 Mbps & upload of 6 Mbps. When I take my MacBook Pro to the office near the Airport Express base, I get download speeds consistently around 70 Mbps and upload of about 6 Mbps. When I'm in the living room, if I shut off the extended Airport Express, I actually get better download speeds (around 40 Mbps) than if the extended Airport Express is on. Can't figure out why my wired extended Airport Express isn't near the same speed as the base!

Jun 19, 2017 12:02 PM in response to Ron Maiellaro

This thread is about setting up and wiring an extended network using AirPort routers.

Your AirPorts are set up correctly if you followed the instructions above, so you have a different issue.....speed. If your AirPorts are set up correctly and Ethernet cable is working correctly, then you will have similar speeds at each AirPort Express.

Please start a new post for your speed issue.

Help with AirPort Express wired connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.