Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX support for 2560x1080 34" Ultra Wide

Hello

I have a 2560x1080 34" ultra wide monitor with HDMI ports only.

My Macbook with the latest OSX does not support the resolution.

The same Macbook with Windows (dual-boot) supports this resolution.

Why? It is the same hardware and works when I boot in Windows.

(I use a mini DP to HDMI adapter)

Thanks!

MacBook Air, macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Posted on Feb 6, 2017 9:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2017 5:27 AM

As per my two previous replies to very similar questions regarding trying to use the LG ultra-wide screen via HDMI.

Some Mac models only support a maximum resolution of 1920x1200 via their built-in HDMI ports. See Frequently asked questions about using HDMI with Mac computers - Apple Support

The MacBook Air which I am presuming you are enquiring about does not have a built-in HDMI port. You are therefore correct in trying to use a Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter.

Not all Mini Displayport to HDMI adapters are created equal. Some in fact many of them are cheap passive adapters, depending on the capabilities of the Mac they can only do at best 4K at 30fps, they all should be able to do 1920x1080 at 60fps. Your ultra-wide screen falls somewhere in between these two levels. The more expensive active adapters can do 4K at 60fps, obviously 4K is more than enough to do the resolution of your ultra-wide screen.

I therefore suggest you get and try an active adapter. This did completely cure the problem for one of the other two people with a similar query although that person has a Mac Pro 2013 computer. The other person has a Mac mini 2014 and has not yet reported the results.

The adapter I strongly recommend is this one - http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/mini-displayport-12- to-hdmi-20-uhd-active-adapter.html

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2017 5:27 AM in response to NaveDaye

As per my two previous replies to very similar questions regarding trying to use the LG ultra-wide screen via HDMI.

Some Mac models only support a maximum resolution of 1920x1200 via their built-in HDMI ports. See Frequently asked questions about using HDMI with Mac computers - Apple Support

The MacBook Air which I am presuming you are enquiring about does not have a built-in HDMI port. You are therefore correct in trying to use a Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter.

Not all Mini Displayport to HDMI adapters are created equal. Some in fact many of them are cheap passive adapters, depending on the capabilities of the Mac they can only do at best 4K at 30fps, they all should be able to do 1920x1080 at 60fps. Your ultra-wide screen falls somewhere in between these two levels. The more expensive active adapters can do 4K at 60fps, obviously 4K is more than enough to do the resolution of your ultra-wide screen.

I therefore suggest you get and try an active adapter. This did completely cure the problem for one of the other two people with a similar query although that person has a Mac Pro 2013 computer. The other person has a Mac mini 2014 and has not yet reported the results.

The adapter I strongly recommend is this one - http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/mini-displayport-12- to-hdmi-20-uhd-active-adapter.html

OSX support for 2560x1080 34" Ultra Wide

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.