Related Article: Apple security releases

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is Update Requested on iPhone

My iPhone is stuck on an update request and even after I turn it off and back on again it's the same thing

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Feb 7, 2017 6:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2017 6:08 AM

Perhaps, disconnecting and then reconnecting to WiFi will jar the update and allow it to begin. Try putting the phone in Airplane Mode, restart again, wait a minute or so, then tune Airplane Mode off.

Settings>Airplane Mode>On. Restart the phone. Wait a minute, then go to Settings>Airplane Mode>Off.

If that doesn't work, force restart the phone and see if the update starts. On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons for at least ten seconds, until you see the Apple logo. On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least ten seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

If that doesn't work, see if the update downloaded and if so, delete it and start over again. Settings>General>Storage & iCloud Usage>Storage>Manage Storage. Let the list of apps load. Find the Software update. Tap on it and delete it in the next screen. Go back to Settings>General>Software Update and try downloading it again.

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2017 6:08 AM in response to HMW73

Perhaps, disconnecting and then reconnecting to WiFi will jar the update and allow it to begin. Try putting the phone in Airplane Mode, restart again, wait a minute or so, then tune Airplane Mode off.

Settings>Airplane Mode>On. Restart the phone. Wait a minute, then go to Settings>Airplane Mode>Off.

If that doesn't work, force restart the phone and see if the update starts. On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons for at least ten seconds, until you see the Apple logo. On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least ten seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

If that doesn't work, see if the update downloaded and if so, delete it and start over again. Settings>General>Storage & iCloud Usage>Storage>Manage Storage. Let the list of apps load. Find the Software update. Tap on it and delete it in the next screen. Go back to Settings>General>Software Update and try downloading it again.

Feb 7, 2017 6:16 AM in response to HMW73

Hi

It may help to follow the steps here:

Get help with over-the-air iOS updates - Apple Support

If you are unable to update wirelessly, consider instead updating via iTunes (and vice versa):

Update the iOS software on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Whichever method you choose, be sure to first make a backup of your iPhone (you may wish to choose the option to Encrypt iPhone backup if using iTunes):

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Note that Apple advises that you should not force restart your iPhone unless it is unresponsive and cannot be restarted normally.

Also note that, for iTunes to be able to connect with a device running iOS 10 or newer (including updating it), your computer must be running iTunes version 12.5.1 or newer:

Get the latest version of iTunes - Apple Support

Feb 7, 2017 10:02 AM in response to HMW73

Also note that I have force restarted my iOS devices many times over the years. It has solved many problems for me in past and it has helped with many other users to whom I made the recommendation.

I could just post a link for you, but I thought a detailed explanation made more sense.

Dec 30, 2017 10:29 AM in response to LeoVieira

This worked for me. There was no indication that this was the problem (i.e., no instructions that I should be plugged in). Restarting didn't work. Finally I decided to try plugging in (I hadn't found this suggestion yet, which is further down on this page). Immediately after I plugged into a power source, I got an update with how many minutes the update would take.

It would've been really nice to have:

a. this suggestion (or requirement) included in the "apple recommended" solution at the top of this page

b. if it's required, to call out that the phone should be plugged in on that screen.

(This was for a new phone. For people that are not used to trouble shooting tech issues on their own, I can picture this being really frustrating.)

Thank you, LeoVieira!

Feb 9, 2018 7:19 AM in response to HMW73

Is there any other solutions to update my dads iPhone? Cause I’ve tried everything from a normal restart, a forced restart, making space for the update, resetting statistics and evening pluging it in. For some reason his iPhone is the only one in our family that is refusing to update. I can only to a WiFi update as my computer is obsolete for the new versions of iTunes. Please help.

What is Update Requested on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.