Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to login as "root"?

I can only login as my normal username after logging out. I cannot type in "root" as the username or select "Other." What do I have to do to allow me to type in "root"?

I am using Sierra (macOS 10.12).

Posted on Feb 7, 2017 6:44 AM

4 replies

Feb 7, 2017 7:27 AM in response to brokeharvard

I would question why?

The user (admin) account by default is not the super user (root) account. This is a security feature on the mac—by design.

sudo is a tool that is provided to allow regular (non-root) users to perform root tasks on a case by case basis from the terminal.

please note password will not echo.

Using the sudo command in Terminal requires a non-blank administrator password - Apple Support

https://developer.apple.com/legacy/library/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPag es/man8/sudo.8.html

Feb 7, 2017 7:38 AM in response to brokeharvard

I have not enabled 'root' on any computer in years, rather doing things via 'sudo', and I'm speaking as someone that has been using Unix since the mid-80's when I would always have at least one terminal session logged in as 'root' 24/7.

The sudo command has eliminated that need for 99 44/100% of my needs.

You have been given information on how to enable 'root' if you desire, but if you give us information on what you want to do as 'root' perhaps we can offer some useful alternatives.

NOTE: 'root' is a well known username on all Unix systems. If you have your Mac directly on the internet with ssh enabled (System Preferences -> Sharing -> Remote Login), and look at your console logs, you will see repeated attempts to break into your Mac by guessing the 'root' password. This is one of the reasons 'root' is not enabled by default.

How to login as "root"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.