Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locating the "Data and Apps Screen" in order to perform a Restore to my iPad Pro

In restoring a backup file from the iCloud to my new iPad Pro, I am told to go to the "Data and Apps Screen." I believe that this is a setup screen, but I have already set up my iPad Pro. Where do I find this screen in order to do a restore?

As an alternative, I used my husband's computer (Windows), using iTunes, to back up my iPad2, but now all of my backups carry the name of his computer -- very confusing! I have not found a way to rename these backup files, but perhaps this is not possible. Was it possible for me to rename these files, instead of using the default names, when I first backed up my iPad2 on the Windows computer (iTunes)? If so, and the "App Screen" referred to above is no longer available to me, should I delete the devices named in iTunes, and start all over again?

Ginny B

iPad Pro, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Feb 7, 2017 6:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2017 7:54 PM

"If you already set up your device, you need to erase all of its content before you can use these steps to restore from your backup." What you are implying is that this is not a big deal in terms of losing data/apps. I would take the above path #3:

3. "Go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap “Erase all content and settings.”

I presume that this would then bring up a series of setup screens, one of which would be the "Apps & Data screen?"

I have a considerable number of Apps on my iPad for my grandson. Does this involve a lengthy download time? If one restores from the iCloud, do I manually have to go to the Apps Store to initiate every one of these downloads, or are they restored automatically, based on what I originally had in storage? When I followed the iTunes route, a large number of the icons for apps were grayed out on my startup screen with a "waiting..." notation, but by clicking on each they eventually loaded.

Lastly, when using the automatic backup feature to the iCloud, do I have to manage these backups from time to time so that they don't eat up storage, or does Apple go through a periodic purging of backup files?

Again, I am most appreciative of your assistance!

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2017 7:54 PM in response to Saifan Pilot

"If you already set up your device, you need to erase all of its content before you can use these steps to restore from your backup." What you are implying is that this is not a big deal in terms of losing data/apps. I would take the above path #3:

3. "Go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap “Erase all content and settings.”

I presume that this would then bring up a series of setup screens, one of which would be the "Apps & Data screen?"

I have a considerable number of Apps on my iPad for my grandson. Does this involve a lengthy download time? If one restores from the iCloud, do I manually have to go to the Apps Store to initiate every one of these downloads, or are they restored automatically, based on what I originally had in storage? When I followed the iTunes route, a large number of the icons for apps were grayed out on my startup screen with a "waiting..." notation, but by clicking on each they eventually loaded.

Lastly, when using the automatic backup feature to the iCloud, do I have to manage these backups from time to time so that they don't eat up storage, or does Apple go through a periodic purging of backup files?

Again, I am most appreciative of your assistance!

Feb 7, 2017 8:05 PM in response to virginia_b

If what you're trying to do is use your new iPad Pro instead of your iPad 2 this is what you would need to do:

On your iPad 2:

Settings → iCloud → Backup → iCloud Backup = ON

Settings → iCloud → Backup → Back Up Now

Wait for the backup to complete...

Now on your iPad Pro you can "Restore from iCloud Backup" when you turn it on.

If you already installed it then erase it: Settings → General → Reset → Erase All Content and Settings

Then when it comes back on select the "Restore from iCloud Backup" and select your iPad backup from the list.

Once the restore is complete, it will automatically download and install all the apps and their data you had in your old iPad 2.

Transfer content from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201269

Feb 7, 2017 7:10 PM in response to Saifan Pilot

Sir Pilot --

Thanks for your super prompt response! I should have joined this forum days ago.

I started my hunt for an answer in Google. This is what I found:

Restore from an iCloud backup

1. On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Software Update. ...
  2. Make sure you have a recent backup to restore from. ...
  3. Go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap “Erase all content and settings.”
  4. From the apps Apps & Data screen, tap Restore from iCloud Backup, then sign in to iCloud.

Seemed fairly routine. I was hesitant, however, in "erasing all content and settings." I also didn't know whether this would take me to the apps "Apps and Data Screen." Hence, I started a search for this latter screen, but without success. The idea originally was to transfer all of my backup data from my old iPad 2 to my iPad Pro. The discussion page from which I distilled the above also talked about backing up my iPad 2 to iTunes via a computer (Windows, in this case), and then attaching my iPad Pro to the computer and restoring. This worked, but now all of my backup files have names associated with the computer I used.

The backup to the iCloud is a piece of cake, as you outlined. I am sure that the restore option is, too (once I figure it out!).

Thanks again for your response.

Ginny B

Feb 7, 2017 6:48 PM in response to virginia_b

It's easier and simpler to continue using iCloud backups, they are in fact better as they are performed daily at night as long as the device is plugged into power source and has Wifi connectivity.

Just make sure this feature is enabled: Settings → iCloud → Backup → iCloud Backup = ON

When are you told "to go to the "Data and Apps Screen.", what are you doing when this message pops up?

What is the exact phrasing used?

There is a settings screen where you can enable/disable each app individually for data access via cellular data:

Settings → Cellular → You see the on/off switch for each app under the "Cellular Data Usage" section.

Feb 7, 2017 8:43 PM in response to Saifan Pilot

That sounds simple enough!

The following question may not have an answer: when I used the iTunes route to do the transfer of data, my iPad 2 and the iPad Pro were renamed with the name of my husband's computer. When I just performed a backup on the iPad Pro, using iCloud, it must overlay the last backup for my iPad Pro device (unless the backups are individually shown only when a restore is done). Is it possible for me to rename my two iPad devices to place them in my name, and not that taken from the computer? (We'll call this cosmetics...)

Feb 7, 2017 8:49 PM in response to virginia_b

Hello,

You can rename each device.

Settings → General → About → Name:

You can rename one to: Ginny's iPad 2

And the other to: Ginny's iPad Pro

Then backup your iPad 2, so it's back will have the work "iPad 2" in the backup name.

When you perform the restore on your iPad pro, use the "iPad 2" backup to restore onto your iPad Pro.

This will migrate your old iPad into the new iPad.

Feb 7, 2017 9:05 PM in response to Saifan Pilot

Outstanding! I have just renamed my iPad Pro, and it is being backed up. I gather that I will only see the individual backups, if I do a restore. Under "Managing Backups," the Pro only shows each device and the total amount of storage pertaining to each device.

You wouldn't believe the number of posts/searches that I have conducted during the last three days attempting to learn how to rename, or eliminate a device, so that a new one with the correct name could be created -- nada a reply.

Again - many thanks. I can see myself becoming dangerous -- very dangerous.

Feb 7, 2017 10:10 PM in response to Saifan Pilot

On my iPad Pro, Manage Storage shows me the devices that have backups (e.g., iPhone, iPad2, iPad Pro), the time of the last backup and the size of that backup - nothing else. This is why I thought that one had to go the Restore route in order to see a listing of the individual backups. I will check the iPad 2 in the morning after it has charged to see if I obtain a more detailed breakdown.

For each device there is an option in red near the bottom of the page that says, Delete Backup. But, I presume that this would leave me with no backups for that device. Does Apple only store a limited number of backups? If the iPad backs up once per day, I would think that storage would get eaten up fast.

Feb 7, 2017 10:14 PM in response to virginia_b

There won't be a break down of the contents of the backups.

Just the devices, if you tap on the backup of the device on the same deivce (for example backup of iPad 2 when using the iPAd 2) it will show you a breakdown of the apps data being backed up, you can individually enable, disable backup on an app by app basis.

When viewing these backups on other devices (For example viewing iPad Pro backup in iPad 2), all you'll see is backup date, size and option to delete

Feb 7, 2017 10:42 PM in response to Saifan Pilot

Yes, when tapping on the iPad Pro device there does appear a listing of the apps. Therefore, unlike a Windows backup, which creates a separate file, Apple must be overwriting the existing backup file. Hence, the only way, I suppose, to manage file size is by deleting the number of apps to be backed up.

Having said this, the "Restore your iPhone..." piece, to which you referred earlier, says in step #4: "Choose a backup. Look at the date and size of each..." But, since system settings are involved, why would one want to restore an iPhone backup, for example, to an iPad Pro device....strange.... But, I restored a backup from my iPad 2 device to the Pro, so system settings must be universal to all of the devices?

Feb 8, 2017 7:28 AM in response to virginia_b

If you set up your iPhone the way you like (apps and all their settings, email settings, messenger settings etc....) and bought a new iPad, you can restore the iPad from the iPhone backup to have a good initial setup of the device.

You don't have to, but it's an option available to you.

If you have made recent backups then you can delete the old ones.

I personally prefer using the automatic iCloud daily backups on my iPhone and iPad.

Settings → iCloud → Backup → iCloud Backup = ON

It takes care of my backups for me daily ad makes it very easy to restore device anywhere even without a computer if my device breaks or is lost.

Locating the "Data and Apps Screen" in order to perform a Restore to my iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.