Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Finder Preferences locked

Mac OS 10.12.2 (latest): Since updating I cannot change any of the Finder Preferences. If I click on any change, as soon as I release the mouse, the change is abandoned and the selections revert to the default. Also, I cannot change any of the Finder view options. Instinctively this seems to me to be a problem with PERMISSIONS somewhere in the Finder setup. But... OSX Disk Utility no longer offers Permissions Repair.

Any pointers how I can unlock my Finder?

User uploaded file

Posted on Feb 8, 2017 2:24 AM

Question marked as Apple recommended
Answer:
Answer:

Click on go > to go folder and type ~/Library , find a folder Preferences right click on com.apple.finder.plist and move to the trash , restart the computer & empty the trash .

User uploaded file

And also , com.apple.sidebarlists.plist must be removed .

Posted on Feb 9, 2017 6:58 AM

Feb 8, 2017 6:15 AM in response to John Galt In response to John Galt

10.12.2 is definitely the latest version offered to me via Software update.

I just ran the command line premissions again and I got:

MacBookPro:~ wm$ diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`

Ready to reset user permissions on disk0s2 Macintosh HD

Started verify/repair permissions on disk0s2 Macintosh HD

Some user permissions have been reset

Error: -69841: Permissions reset on user home directory failed

Underlying error: 1: Operation not permitted

Feb 8, 2017 6:15 AM

Reply Helpful

Feb 8, 2017 6:25 AM in response to William Martin1 In response to William Martin1

Quoting from the above Apple Support document,

After entering the diskutil command, if Terminal says that permissions reset on user home directory failed (error -69841), enter
chflags -R nouchg ~
, then enter the diskutil command again.

Did you do that?

Feb 8, 2017 6:25 AM

Reply Helpful

Feb 8, 2017 7:17 AM in response to William Martin1 In response to William Martin1

In finder preferences , select general if you check the box of hard disks it will be shown on the desktop screen .

Press command + info the read and write permissions is just like in the screen shot .

User uploaded file

if you have done , any changes in read and write permissions and you are not able to do changes in finder preferences it is recommended to once again install Mac OS Sierra .

An article for it : How to get macOS Sierra - Apple Support

And the latest update is released few days back 10.12.3

Feb 8, 2017 7:17 AM

Reply Helpful

Feb 8, 2017 8:56 AM in response to William Martin1 In response to William Martin1

Please restart your Mac in "Safe Mode" and repeat all the instructions from that Apple Support document again, all of the steps from 1 through 7. Determine if the Finder changes you make remain while operating in that mode.

To start your Mac in "Safe Mode" follow the instructions here: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support.

Then, still while operating in that mode, download and install the macOS "combo" update here:

Download macOS Sierra 10.12.3 Combo Update

After it installs your Mac will restart.

See if that fixes it.

Feb 8, 2017 8:56 AM

Reply Helpful

Feb 9, 2017 6:47 AM in response to tygb In response to tygb

Update: I have tried fixing the Permissions via the GUI and via command line. I have also installed 10.12.3 as suggested. Still no solution, all my Finder prefs are locked in the default. All that remains is a full re-install of the OS. I dont have time to try this yet. :-(

Feb 9, 2017 6:47 AM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Apple recommended

Feb 9, 2017 6:58 AM in response to William Martin1 In response to William Martin1

Click on go > to go folder and type ~/Library , find a folder Preferences right click on com.apple.finder.plist and move to the trash , restart the computer & empty the trash .

User uploaded file

And also , com.apple.sidebarlists.plist must be removed .

Feb 9, 2017 6:58 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: William Martin1

Question: Finder Preferences locked