Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I add custom words to Dictation?

I need to add industry-specific words and abbreviations to Dictation and correct some words that the recognition engine always, always gets wrong.

There are words that I would like to remove as well, to avoid recognition mistakes that keep being made.

macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Posted on Feb 8, 2017 11:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2017 2:29 PM

Here is a functional example of a custom command. You have a document in the Finder that has its extension hidden, and you do not want to Get Info, and click unhide. Instead, you speak “show extension,” and dictation instantly unhides the document extension.

Here is the AppleScript that I have placed in an Automator Workflow's Run AppleScript action. This workflow can be saved anywhere in your home directory, or subfolder, as long as you can find it later.

User uploaded file

tell application "Finder"

activate

-- document icon must be selected, and extension must be hidden

if not selection is {} and extension hidden of (selection as text as alias) is true then

set thisFile to selection as text as alias

set thisName to name of thisFile

set theNameExt to name extension of thisFile

set theBaseName to text 1 thru ((offset of "." & theNameExt in thisName) - 1) of thisName

if extension hidden of thisFile is true then

set extension hidden of thisFile to false

end if

say "File Extension restored to " & theBaseName & " dot " & theNameExt

else

sayuser_mistake

return

end if

end tell

tell application "SpeechRecognitionServer" to if it is running then quit

return

In System Preferences : Accessibility : Dictation : Dictation Commands…

1. Click + to add a new command.
  2. Configuration
    1. When I say: Show Extension
    2. While using: Finder
    3. Perform: Select Run Workflow : Other... <locate, and click on the above Workflow file>, then click Open.
    4. Ignore Save Workflow As…
    5. Click the check box next to your as yet unnamed command, and it will become the When I Say string.
    6. Click Done.
  3. Launch Dictation. Select a File without its extension showing, and speak your command. If your audio is on, it will speak that the file extension has been restored to the filename.
  4. You may need to visit System Preferences : Security & Privacy : Privacy : Accessibility to enable Automator, or Script Editor authorization.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2017 2:29 PM in response to inkshawn

Here is a functional example of a custom command. You have a document in the Finder that has its extension hidden, and you do not want to Get Info, and click unhide. Instead, you speak “show extension,” and dictation instantly unhides the document extension.

Here is the AppleScript that I have placed in an Automator Workflow's Run AppleScript action. This workflow can be saved anywhere in your home directory, or subfolder, as long as you can find it later.

User uploaded file

tell application "Finder"

activate

-- document icon must be selected, and extension must be hidden

if not selection is {} and extension hidden of (selection as text as alias) is true then

set thisFile to selection as text as alias

set thisName to name of thisFile

set theNameExt to name extension of thisFile

set theBaseName to text 1 thru ((offset of "." & theNameExt in thisName) - 1) of thisName

if extension hidden of thisFile is true then

set extension hidden of thisFile to false

end if

say "File Extension restored to " & theBaseName & " dot " & theNameExt

else

sayuser_mistake

return

end if

end tell

tell application "SpeechRecognitionServer" to if it is running then quit

return

In System Preferences : Accessibility : Dictation : Dictation Commands…

1. Click + to add a new command.
  2. Configuration
    1. When I say: Show Extension
    2. While using: Finder
    3. Perform: Select Run Workflow : Other... <locate, and click on the above Workflow file>, then click Open.
    4. Ignore Save Workflow As…
    5. Click the check box next to your as yet unnamed command, and it will become the When I Say string.
    6. Click Done.
  3. Launch Dictation. Select a File without its extension showing, and speak your command. If your audio is on, it will speak that the file extension has been restored to the filename.
  4. You may need to visit System Preferences : Security & Privacy : Privacy : Accessibility to enable Automator, or Script Editor authorization.

Feb 9, 2017 12:25 PM in response to inkshawn

As a workaround try adding these words as individual names in Contacts. Mac Dictation uses the first and last names it finds in your Contacts application to improve recognition. Contacts are normally sync'd with Dictation after 10 minutes of telling Dictation to stop listening. Unfortunately, words cannot be removed from the built-in dictionary.

Can I add custom words to Dictation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.