Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up / using Apple TV 1st Gen.

Hello Everyone,

I have a weird question I guess.. I have a first generation Apple TV in perfect condition, that has just been sitting in a drawer since I got newer models in later years.

However, these days having a little more time on my hands, I am fixing up everything I can, trying to put everything I own to good use, and so I was planning to set it up as a little entertainment device serving a guest bedroom. The problem is, it does not even show up in iTunes any more!

Doing a little research online, it looks like to me, since this model was discontinued, even the support ended, and so I ended up with a perfect condition brick??

So, maybe the Community here could help me:

1.) Is there a way, to get it running again as an iTunes server? (I use a Mid-2011 iMac, running the current MacOS Sierra 10.12.3, and the latest version of iTunes 12.5.5.5)

2.) If it can not be used for iTunes any more, what other useful stuff can I install on it?

3.) Does it worth upgrading it in any way (I mean with an SSD drive, etc.)? I do have a 4th Gen. Apple TV for the living room.

Thank you in advance for all your input, it would be of great help!

Apple TV

Posted on Feb 8, 2017 3:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2017 3:38 PM

Ok I found this !!! on Wikipaedia

"In September 2017, with the release of iTunes 12.7, it is no longer possible to sync and stream with the first generation Apple TV, although it is not listed in the iTunes update release notes"

19 replies

Feb 8, 2017 3:40 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Everything I could, with my limited know-how:

I deleted and set up WiFi access again.

I tried updating the software on it: it checked and said it was up to date.

Connected, re-connected several times to see if it shows up in iTunes, it did not.

Tried to access internet stuff, inc. YouTube, which showed history (from 4-5 years ago), but would not connect.

Went through all the settings to double check everything.

Finally restored the system, and now I am back to square one..

Feb 8, 2017 3:53 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Long time ago, it was showing under "Devices", but now that's only for iPhone/iPad backups.

Searching Google showed me, that it was later moved to the main window as an icon, and then later completely removed from iTunes. Hence my original question, if Apple/iTunes does not officially support it any more, is there any way to still get it working, or am I completely out of luck?

Also, I don't mind setting it up as something completely different, e.g. a server, but I can't find any current directions on it. I wonder, if anyone has done something similar recently.

Feb 9, 2017 2:47 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I have done extensive google searches, so it is for sure, that the support for it was ended by Apple. So it will not show up in iTunes by itself any more. That's a given.

Was wondering though, if anyone here had first-hand experience with the 1st Gen. Apple TV recently, or if anyone is using it for something currently. (I believe not everyone would post about it online, so does not hurt asking.)

Apr 17, 2017 10:26 AM in response to RP1974

I can state Apple TV 1st Gen works with current iTunes 12.6, there is nothing special to configure. I have two of them, one has been upgraded with a larger SSD drive that I use at a vacation home with no internet. Reset the ATV, perform the update, locate the General Settings and connect it to your iTunes library, note the 5 (?) digit code ATV generates and input it into iTunes, ATV will show up like a iPod/iPad does. Configure the sync options you want. Purchased HD movies (Star Wars and Rogue One are good examples) will sync and play on your ATV, but you need to uncheck the "Fullsize" download option from 1080P to 720P, the latter will play on the ATV. Keep plugging away at it.

Apr 25, 2017 2:59 AM in response to RP1974

I can confirm that iTunes 12.6 (I have 12.6.0.100) does work with 1st gen ATV. However until I disconnected my ATV from my iTunes library, then reconnected, iTunes failed to recognise the ATV after the update. Once I reconnected, the ATV showed up in iTunes and I was able to enter the code and the sync started.

On previous updates to iTunes the disconnect/reconnect step has not been necessary, so I've no idea why it was needed this time.

Setting up / using Apple TV 1st Gen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.