Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble login into gmail app on iphone

HI guys,I have an issue login into the gmail app on Iphone. I have downloaded the gmail application as well as the google keep application and when I try to login to either one , it brings me to the login page and I key in my email and my password . However , the same error message keeps popping up repeatedly over again - "Error , Sorry there seems to be a problem. Please try again ."

I have tried to couple of workarounds. I have removed 2 of my gmail accounts located under settings and I have reinstalled these two accounts and rebooted my phone . I have also checked whether other function in the phone could have caused these issues , such a VPN blocker. I have found none so far.

Just some background on my iphone and my usage pattern :

The current iphone which I have issues with is an Iphone 6s 128 gb which is running on version 10.2.1. I have restored this iphone from itunes which I have synced with my other iphone ( 6 , 16 gb )running the same version of the ios. The gmail and google keep application on my other iphone ( 6, 16gb ) is able to run both application without any issues.

Can anyone help ? Any help would be great. Thanks.

iPhone 6s, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Feb 9, 2017 1:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2017 2:38 PM

Hi mjt123,

Thanks for posting your question in the Apple Support Communities. I see that you are having an unknown error when signing into either of your Google apps on your iPhone 6s. If you have not done so already, try uninstalling the app then downloading it again from your purchase history.

Delete music, movies, apps, books, and other downloaded content from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch​

Delete an app

To delete an app from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, use these steps:

1. Touch and hold the app until it jiggles.
  2. Tap the User uploaded file in the upper-left corner to delete.

If you're asked to confirm that you want to delete the app, tap Delete.

If you press too firmly on an app, you might open the app's Quick Actions menu. Tap outside of the Quick Actions list and then lightly touch and hold on the app to try again.

If you don't see an User uploaded file in the upper-left corner when the app jiggles, you might have restricted the ability to delete apps on your device. You can turn off the restriction in Settings. Learn more about using Restrictions on your device.

Deleting an app doesn't cancel a subscription. Learn how to manage your subscriptions.

You can also hide (and unhide) apps.

Download your past purchases

Redownload an app

You can redownload apps on your iPhone or iPod touch, iPad, Mac, PC, or Apple TV (4th generation). You can also redownload some in-app purchases.

On an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Open the App Store app.
  2. On an iPhone or iPod touch: Tap Updates, then tap Purchased.
    On an iPad: Tap Purchased.
  3. Tap "Not on This [device]."
  4. Find the app that you want to download, then tap User uploaded file . The app downloads to your device.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities to post your question. Let us know if this resolves the problem.

Have a great day.
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2017 2:38 PM in response to mjt123

Hi mjt123,

Thanks for posting your question in the Apple Support Communities. I see that you are having an unknown error when signing into either of your Google apps on your iPhone 6s. If you have not done so already, try uninstalling the app then downloading it again from your purchase history.

Delete music, movies, apps, books, and other downloaded content from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch​

Delete an app

To delete an app from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, use these steps:

1. Touch and hold the app until it jiggles.
  2. Tap the User uploaded file in the upper-left corner to delete.

If you're asked to confirm that you want to delete the app, tap Delete.

If you press too firmly on an app, you might open the app's Quick Actions menu. Tap outside of the Quick Actions list and then lightly touch and hold on the app to try again.

If you don't see an User uploaded file in the upper-left corner when the app jiggles, you might have restricted the ability to delete apps on your device. You can turn off the restriction in Settings. Learn more about using Restrictions on your device.

Deleting an app doesn't cancel a subscription. Learn how to manage your subscriptions.

You can also hide (and unhide) apps.

Download your past purchases

Redownload an app

You can redownload apps on your iPhone or iPod touch, iPad, Mac, PC, or Apple TV (4th generation). You can also redownload some in-app purchases.

On an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Open the App Store app.
  2. On an iPhone or iPod touch: Tap Updates, then tap Purchased.
    On an iPad: Tap Purchased.
  3. Tap "Not on This [device]."
  4. Find the app that you want to download, then tap User uploaded file . The app downloads to your device.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities to post your question. Let us know if this resolves the problem.

Have a great day.

Mar 11, 2017 1:22 PM in response to mjt123

Hi,

Due to some circumstances at Google ask much people to log in again. On your iPhone the Gmail app uses Safari for the login process. To make it work again delete site data in "Settings"-"Safari" and make sure cookies are enabled, at least for the current page.

Now everything should work - no need for reinstall.

Best,

Tom

Feb 10, 2017 8:47 AM in response to darren.s

HI Darren,

Thank you for your reply. Yes I have uninstalled and install the application again. However, the problem has still persisted and I suspect that it maybe a problem with google services.

I have since attempted some other workarounds in order to solve this issue . These include :

1) Removing the gmail application from my other iPhone ( iphone 6 ). After reinstalling the gmail application again ,in the process of signing into the application on the Iphone 6 , I noted that there was an option for me to choose the gmail account which I wanted to associate with this application . After I removed these options , I had uninstalled and installed the gmail application again on the iPhone 6. This time however, I was unable to sign into the gmail application on the iphone 6 and I had encountered the similar issue as I have described .

2)I had previously used a Samsung phone running on Android with another phone , Lenovo. Both phones were able to access the gmail application without any issues. When I switched from Samsung to Apple ( iPhone 6) , the gmail function was still working fine. It was only after I synced the Iphone 6 into iTunes and and then synced iTunes with iphone 6 s did this issue occurred.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts and workaround that you can suggest. Thank you for your help

Mar 15, 2017 7:41 AM in response to lissycomstock

Turns out my issue was human error. I was trying to change something with the login and ended up locking myself out of Google on my specific device; in this case my iPhone. All I had to do was go back to my emails from Google, to confirm that it was actually me tinkering and now someone else. Once I clicked on the link in the email to confirm it was me, I was able to log in as normal.

Trouble login into gmail app on iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.