Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage not syncing across devices

I use iMessage a lot for text communication. It always worked seamlessly across my iPhone, iPad and desktop iMac. However, all of a sudden, they have stopped syncing with each other. For example if I start a text conversation on my desktop iMac, it no longer appears on my phone. Any responses to my texts also only appear on the iMac. This is a major problem, since I spend half my day at home on the iMac and the other half away via phone. I have tried signing in and out of iMessage and this does not help. Any ideas? This is a very recent problem.

Posted on Feb 9, 2017 8:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2017 10:28 AM

Make sure you're signed in iCloud with the same AppleID on both devices.

iPhone: Settings → iCloud

Mac: System Preferences → iCloud

Make sure in iPhone:

Settings → Messages → iMessage = ON

Settings → Tet Message Forwarding → Has your Mac enabled

Settings → Messages → Send as SMS = ON

Settings → Messages → MMS Messages = ON

On the Mac check:

Messages → Preferences... → AppleID is the same as in the iPhone in Settings → Messages

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2017 10:28 AM in response to Wordplay

Make sure you're signed in iCloud with the same AppleID on both devices.

iPhone: Settings → iCloud

Mac: System Preferences → iCloud

Make sure in iPhone:

Settings → Tet Message Forwarding → Has your Mac enabled

Settings → Messages → MMS Messages = ON

On the Mac check:

Messages → Preferences... → AppleID is the same as in the iPhone in Settings → Messages

Jun 26, 2017 5:57 AM in response to stuckintheattic

What version iOS are you running on your iPhone?

Verify these settings:

Settings → Messages → MMS Messaging = ON

Text Message Forwarding should be 3ʳᵈ option on that screen, there you can enable SMS text message forwarding to other devices (Mac, iPad etc..) you'll have to tap a code on the iPhone that will appear on the other device(s) once you turn text forwarding on on these devices.

User uploaded file

Jun 26, 2017 10:33 AM in response to stuckintheattic

Hi Saifan,

I am running V 9.3.5 (13G36) on an iPhone 4S or 4G.

I found those settings under the Messages section. I had been looking somewhere else, I suspect.

The settings are now all the same across the devices. They mostly were anyway.

However, There are very different collections of messages on different devices, l despite being all on the same account.

Everything had been fine until about 2 months ago. Hope this info helps us both, and anybody else tuned in.

Jun 26, 2017 11:19 AM in response to stuckintheattic

iOS does not support message syncing across devices.

Text forwarding enables forwarding SMS messages received from other cell phones, that are not iPhones, to your other devices. For example, if a friend of yours sends you a text message from an Android device, this would be an SMS text message (not iMessage). So text forwarding would forward this SMS to your Mac and/or iPad.

Apple did announce that iOS 11, to be released this fall, will permit iMessage syncing across all your devices via iCloud, but it will require all your devices be upgraded to iOS 11.

Unfortunately, iPhone 4S will not be able to be upgraded to iOS 11, as it's an obsolete device.

Aug 24, 2017 9:59 AM in response to Saifan Pilot

Hi Saifan,

I only have one Apple ID, and have tried everything suggested here, the messages do NOT synchronize. I am in the process of setting up a brand new iMac, used Migration Assistant from my 2009 iMac. For all the years I used it, my 2009 iMac always synchronized with the Message app. That was very helpful - especially when I needed to print or forward or cut and paste into emails. It is very frustrating to be unable to do that. I also do not see an option to back up iMessages to iCloud, where maybe they could sync. I use a 6+ iPhone, all of my operating systems are up to date. I have an iPhone4 which has been converted to iPod type usage (no cell service at all - just iTunes) and 2009 MacBook all associated with my AppleID.

iMessage not syncing across devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.