Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to add any Gmail Accounts to Mail

This is my first post to the community, so I hope choosing to post into macOS Sierra is the correct place to be.

Anyways. I am currently having issues with trying to add mail accounts back onto the Mail app on my MacBook. I was having issues with the accounts constantly going offline, so I disconnected them and was going to add them back to see if it would fix the issue. Well I can't add them back.

What occurs is if I go into Internet Accounts or I just add an account straight from the Mail app, I click on Google, and I put in my credentials of either account, I have two accounts in total, and then it just hangs on a gray screen and the only option I have is cancel. Hitting it just closes the window and attempting to do it again results in the same issue.

I read on a couple other forums either on here or Google forums of the same question, but the answer was always to go into Keychain Access and delete anything associated with Google. I did so and the problem still persists. I of course tried restarting and also updated my MacBook.

Now I'm not sure if this would have occurred if I wasn't on the PB, but I will say the issue with not connecting to one of my mail accounts properly, which is how I got into this as mentioned previously, did occur on the latest version of 10.12.3 which wasn't PB. It was released to everyone. So this could be a PB issue, but it's happened on two PB now and I didn't know if there was anything else anyone could suggest since this has happened to others as well that I assume weren't on PB. I also attached an image of what occurs. So anything would help.

I apologize if this is in the wrong area of the communities. Again, it's my first post. But thank you in advance.User uploaded file

MacBook, macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Posted on Feb 9, 2017 9:47 PM

27 replies

Feb 10, 2017 12:45 AM in response to dhopper598

Do you have four digit I cloud verification code example 1234 , the steps are exactly the same coming on the desktop when you delete every folder from the keychain folder in the user library .

You have to follow these you will configure it once again , I am concerned only ' bout four digit iCloud verification code that has important role , answer me if you still have confusion I'll post the screen shots from the starting .

User uploaded file

Feb 10, 2017 7:39 AM in response to dhopper598

I had a same issue in my system & found an solution for it .

Click on go > to go folder & type ~/Library find a folder caches , cookies delete the ENTIRE 2 FOLDER Into the trash , also delete the files of saved application state .

into the trash .

Also , click on go > to go folder and type /Library delete the WHOLE FOLDER of caches into the trash .

Restart , the system & empty the trash .

Open mail application from the dock , take cursor on top menu bar , mail > click on add accounts > a window appears check the box of google , it will prompt to enter your gmail id and password , so please enter it .

When you click on window > connection doctor you will see green dots in front of IMAP google account & SMTP account .

Now regarding your key chains , open system preferences > click on iCloud > check the box of keychains it will prompt to enter your four digit I cloud verification code , enter it , a sms will come to your mobile ( it would be 6 digit ) , enter this code in a small window that , will appear on your desktop .

After a minute your keychain box will be checked .

Note : You will notice once your gmail account is configured , it will take time to download all of your mails in your mail box & it will depend upon your network speed .

Feb 10, 2017 7:13 AM in response to dialabrain

No , I had a same issue & consulted senior advisor in apple support , they deleted cache folder from system library and cache , cookie folder from the user library , and files of saved application state into the trash , restarted the machine and emptied the trash .

The mail was configured once again .

User uploaded file

Feb 9, 2017 11:08 PM in response to dhopper598

Open system preferences > date & time > the box set date and time automatically must be checked with the correct continent showing in front of it , in time zone the box set time zone automatically using current location must be checked so that closest city must be shown in the bottom of the window .

It , seems your key chain is corrupted .

Before following the steps you must have four digit I cloud verification code , gmail id , iCloud id , Apple ID and their respective passwords , and wireless network password & your registered mobile .

Click on go to go folder & type ~/Library go to folder keychains & select ( can use command + A ) alfa numeric folder , loginkeychain -db , meta data .keychain -db & delete ( command + delete ) to the trash . Restart & empty the trash .

A pop - up appears on the desktop this Mac can’t connect to I cloud because of a problem with ……web mail is written open I cloud preferences to fix this problem

( a ) later ( b ) I cloud preferences , so click on I cloud preferences .

Go to system preferences click on google mail , contacts & 3 more it prompts to enter web mail password , click on next .

Then click on I cloud , I cloud drive & 8 more on the right side check the box of key chain , an pop -up appears enter your Apple ID password & set up I cloud keychain .

Password ….required enter the password in the empty field ( a ) cancel ( b ) ok , click on ok

An pop up appears to set up I cloud keychain on this Mac request approval from one of your other devices using I cloud keychain .if no other devices are available , use I cloud security code ( a ) use code ( b ) cancel ( c ) request approval so , click on use code .

Enter your four digit I cloud security code & click on next enter the verification code ( 6 numbered ) sent to the mobile .

Open airport utility via spotlight & click on base station & enter the wireless network password

( a ) remember this password in my keychain ( cancel , ok) so click on ok .

Open safari & set the home page once again .

Feb 10, 2017 12:00 AM in response to tygb

I tried to follow what you did tygb, but some of what you said is difficult to understand because of how you've typed it out. I went through and deleted the files and folders in the Keychain folder in Library and restarted my computer and emptied the trash. Then I opened iCloud Preferences from the popup and after that what you said was confusing. I don't know where you're saying after clicking iCloud Preferences to then go to System Preferences and click on Google Mail. So now my Keychain is just popping up a thousand times asking for my keychain password and to reset things. I don't know if I just made it worse.

Feb 10, 2017 1:35 AM in response to tygb

The step where you say

"A pop - up appears on the desktop this Mac can’t connect to I cloud because of a problem with ……web mail is written open I cloud preferences to fix this problem

( a ) later ( b ) I cloud preferences , so click on I cloud preferences .

Go to system preferences click on google mail , contacts & 3 more it prompts to enter web mail password , click on next ."

That second part is what I'm confused on. You say click on google mail. I don't have that option. I have no emails set up at all.

And if I skip this step and go to iCloud, I have to approve from another device when checking Keychain. I don't have the option to use code. It replaces that option with Reset Keychain.

Feb 10, 2017 6:16 AM in response to tygb

Last part of it all.

Why do I need to do Airport Utility? I don't have an Airport device. I just have normal WiFi through my router and it's been connected the whole time.

I did all the steps in the pictures and nothing changed. It seems more messed up because different programs keep asking for my Keychain password. It still gives me the gray screen when trying to add either of my email accounts to the mail app.

Feb 10, 2017 7:49 AM in response to dhopper598

No , I am a learner , I purchased my Mac book in year 2012 and never did any computer course , but Respected Apple support community has given an opportunity to the common persons to join , help out others & i learn from upcoming newcomers ( I am surprised even a person who has reached level 1 is knowledgeable ) .

Unable to add any Gmail Accounts to Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.