Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My printer won't respond to the double sided command from my iMac.

I have an iMac which is using macOS Sierra version 10.12.3. Im trying to print documents double sided like I always do from this computer but for some odd reason after checking the box for double sided printing the printer (Hp Officejet Pro 8620) is not printing double sided. My friend who is on my network is able to print double sided from her MacBook Air. Updates for all devices are current. Please help

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Posted on Feb 10, 2017 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2017 11:29 AM

Hi guys! i just figured it out!!

I had the same problem for quite some time, the two-sided option was greyed out.

You have to do the following:

1. Go to "System Preferences" and further to "Printers and Scanners".

2. Hover over your printer title and right-click.

3. Click "Reset printing system..."

4. Click "+" to add a new printer.

5. Now attention please:

a) click the field "Use", ignoring the default setting (e.g. Secure AirPrint), and

b) select the original software for your printer (it may be Epson, HP etc...), there may be options, check them all out, one by one, until you find the one that explicitly offers you a "duplex" mode.

See the screenshots below! this is fantastic!! Good luck!

a) ignore the default setting (e.g. Secure AirPrint) and click the field "Use":User uploaded file

b) click the field "Use" and select the original software for your printer (it may be Epson, HP etc...)

User uploaded file

c) click Add in the right bottom corner

User uploaded file

d) then, in the opened up window, check "duplexer" option or sounding something like this

User uploaded file

Et voila! you all set! 🙂

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2017 11:29 AM in response to vaLenzz66

I had the same problem for quite some time, the two-sided option was greyed out.

5. Now attention please:

a) click the field "Use", ignoring the default setting (e.g. Secure AirPrint), and

b) select the original software for your printer (it may be Epson, HP etc...), there may be options, check them all out, one by one, until you find the one that explicitly offers you a "duplex" mode.

a) ignore the default setting (e.g. Secure AirPrint) and click the field "Use":User uploaded file

b) click the field "Use" and select the original software for your printer (it may be Epson, HP etc...)

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

d) then, in the opened up window, check "duplexer" option or sounding something like this

User uploaded file

Et voila! you all set! 🙂

Feb 10, 2017 12:55 PM in response to vaLenzz66

Be sure you have the latest drivers, check Printer and scanner software for macOS Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, and Mavericks - Apple Support

On your Mac, Applications > Utilities > System Information; Software > Printer Software; PPD's for installed version.

At the print window, click 'Show Details'.

User uploaded file

Set presets to Default. Select 'Layout', be sure 'Two-Sided' is not set to 'off'.

User uploaded file

Feb 27, 2017 11:28 AM in response to cavemees

5. Now attention please:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Et voila! you all set! 🙂

My printer won't respond to the double sided command from my iMac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.